Whistles of Death?

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Whistles of Death?

Post by Beagle »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/06 ... index.html

For years, many archaeologists who uncovered ancient noisemakers dismissed them as toys. Museums relegated them to warehouses. But while most studies and exhibits of ancient cultures focus on how they looked, Velazquez said the noisemakers provide a rare glimpse into how they sounded. Hear some of the spine-tingling sounds of the ancient Aztecs »

"We've been looking at our ancient culture as if they were deaf and mute," he said. "But I think all of this is tied closely to what they did, how they thought."

Velazquez is part of a growing field of study that includes archaeologists, musicians and historians. Medical doctors are interested too, believing the Aztecs may have used sound to treat illnesses.

Noisemakers made of clay, turkey feathers, sugar cane, frog skins and other natural materials were an integral part of pre-Columbian life, found at nearly every Mayan site.

The Aztecs sounded the low, foghorn hum of conch shells at the start of ceremonies and possibly during wars to communicate strategies. Hunters likely used animal-shaped ocarinas to produce throaty grunts that lured deer.

The modern-day archaeologists who came up with the term Whistles of Death believe they were meant to help the deceased journey into the underworld, while tribes are said to have emitted terrifying sounds to fend off enemies, much like high-tech crowd-control devices available today.
This is an interesting article about clay whistles that have been found in an Aztec burial. Dubbed "whistles of death", I really think that is a misnomer.

As the article states, these whistles have been known to archaeologists for a long time, but in this article we have an audio file of the whistles being used. I now think, after listening, that these whistles, in the hands of a skilled practitioner or musician, could mimic the sounds of the animals that they portrayed. This could have had many uses, from healing to communication.

Since these flutes were part of a burial, I'm speculating that the deceased was a musician.

Enjoy. 8)
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

What I find interesting is that we are now looking at, and literally sounding out, some of these finds that were put aside as "well isn't that kind of interesting, but it doesn’t mean much."
This is literally digging in the basement of museums.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

That's actually quite cool! Especially if the originals actually sounded like the reproductions.

Definitely animal like qualities to those whistles.
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

The deceased may have been a musician, or the instruments may simply have been included in the burial by virtue of being precious objects. This idea of 'healing by sound' is a new one on me though I suppose it's not that far-fetched as an idea: whistles and flutes were often used to mimic bird song, and I suppose the association of certain Gods with certain birds might have been seen as figuring towards someone's recovery from an illness.

Interesting article, couldn't get the sound thing to play though I'm guessing it may be similar to a few things I've got on CD.
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

A good friend of mine is a sound healer. He is a didgeredoo player and maker. The instrument he uses for healing is a huge 14 footer. It can make a very deep, low frequency sound. It's like an hour of massage in just a few minutes.
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

dannan14 wrote:A good friend of mine is a sound healer. He is a didgeredoo player and maker. The instrument he uses for healing is a huge 14 footer. It can make a very deep, low frequency sound. It's like an hour of massage in just a few minutes.
Hmmm. Interesting idea. I'd honestly never considered this dimension of music - irrespective of whether or not anyone is genuinely healed, in the case of a digeridoo I can certainly understand why the sound it makes could be regarded as having such properties - it's a very 'physical' sound.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I know that when I had to listen to my son's guitar that it gave me a headache.

Perhaps there are instruments with more soothing properties?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Minimalist wrote:I know that when I had to listen to my son's guitar that it gave me a headache.
Your son should apply to the US military, Min. Like when they beseiged Noriega in Panama, sound can be used as a weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Noriega

Noriega fled during the attack and a manhunt ensued. He finally turned up in the Apostolic Nunciature, the Holy See's embassy in Panama, where he had taken refuge.

U.S. troops set up a perimeter outside this building, as any direct action on the embassy itself would have violated the customs of international law, including the Vienna Convention, as well as constituting an act of war on the Vatican and enraging Roman Catholics.

The troops guarding it instead used psychological warfare, attempting to force the defeated ruler out by using the continuous noise from a low flying helicopter and playing hard rock music and The Howard Stern Show outside the residence.[16] Reportedly the song "Panama" by Van Halen was played repeatedly, as was "I Fought The Law" by The Clash.
:lol:
Last edited by Ishtar on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

War Arrow wrote:Hmmm. Interesting idea. I'd honestly never considered this dimension of music - irrespective of whether or not anyone is genuinely healed, in the case of a digeridoo I can certainly understand why the sound it makes could be regarded as having such properties - it's a very 'physical' sound.
After seeing and experiencing this process i've decided that it simply does not matter to me if there is a 'measurable' healing effect. It is psychologically, spiritually, and physically very relaxing.

i hope that someday such things will receive scientific study. More likely than not, during the first several attempts to discover the effects of sound healing the researchers will not know what they are looking for and as a result not find anything.
Digit

Post by Digit »

That fact was apparently well known to the Scottish highlanders Ish, it has been suggested that the reason why their charge was so devasting was that they were trying to get away from the skirl of the pipes! :lol:
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

dannan14 wrote: After seeing and experiencing this process i've decided that it simply does not matter to me if there is a 'measurable' healing effect. It is psychologically, spiritually, and physically very relaxing.
Fair play. Without wishing to sound like an idiot, I believe there are studies on the calming effect of cats (notably when purring) - ie: it is good for you, so I guess the digeridoo would kind of do the same thing with knobs on, so to speak.
Digit

Post by Digit »

That length WA I would think the vibration would rattle the windows!
rich

Post by rich »

They've also done studies for years with the way different sounds affect plants.
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

WA - Yes, sans the massage part i would have to agree that a cat's purr is very similar.

Digit - Window rattling definitely occurs if any are nearby. He also has a giant drum made from a tree trunk that is so large it doubles as a tent! When he plays the big didg the drum resonates and can even amplify the sound somewhat.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I wonder what effect it has on him?