Amateur archaeologists-do they have anything to contribute?

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Manystones

Amateur archaeologists-do they have anything to contribute?

Post by Manystones »

In a general sense, archaeology is an academic pursuit whose role it is to create for contemporary societies the modern myths about the distant human past.

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/epc/srb/cy ... narik1.pdf

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/epc/srb/cy ... narik2.pdf

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/epc/srb/cy ... narik3.pdf

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/epc/srb/cy ... narik4.pdf
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

As usual, Bednarik is blunt in his lecture regarding the history and current state of the archaeology profession. I have a busy day today Richard, but I'll comment further later. I would like to have Charlie involved also, so I may find where else you may have posted this.

No doubt about it - Bednarik is at the top of Chris Stringer's enemy list. I wonder if he is lecturing at the University of Toronto full time?
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Looks interesting - hopefully I'll have some time to look at these in depth tomorrow.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

A lot here to consume, thanks Richard; I needed something to read on the airplane! :D
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Where you off to, boss?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Minimalist wrote:Where you off to, boss?
Your neck of the woods. (ugh...112 degrees) More work to do on the house....it never ends it seems.

john

Post by john »

MichelleH wrote:
Your neck of the woods. (ugh...112 degrees) More work to do on the house....it never ends it seems.
Michelle -

My mother, all 89 years of her, has a beautifully embroidered pillow
(she did a lot of needlepoint in her life) which states "Gardening consists of sitting in the front porch swing in your nicest frock, with a long cool drink in your hand, telling the man where to dig."

In the spirit of that, I'll add "Woman who finishes house dies."

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
fossiltrader

interesting

Post by fossiltrader »

I have heard similar from lecturers here so much time is wasted with the in house ego fights the work itself appears to take second place.
A group of us here do work outside the academic cat fights however it does mean we fight for every thing we try to get published in fact several of us merely do the work we can get and be happy with it.
In the end it comes down to we all have bills to pay i have seen far to many good friends end up cleaning for a living or driving taxis so we keep a low profile and post online and pass work between ourselves may not seem much but it better than doing nothing.
Digit

Post by Digit »

But for the ameteurs who founded the discipline archaeology as such would not even exist of course.
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

It's a no brainer, Dig.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

MichelleH wrote:

You've got to drop by for a glass of wine sometime. Maybe a dip in the pool.....or, as it now feels....a chlorine soup bath now that the water is consistently 90 degrees.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Minimalist wrote:
MichelleH wrote:

You've got to drop by for a glass of wine sometime. Maybe a dip in the pool.....or, as it now feels....a chlorine soup bath now that the water is consistently 90 degrees.
Oh sure, now that I'm flying back today, you send the invite... :wink:

Thanks Min, I will be back and take you up on that!

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah, let me know. We're here until the end of September when we're going to Charleston for a week. Swimming season will be over by the time we get back.....(I hope.)

-- George Carlin