1 inch thick layer of comet impact debris near Sandusky

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

1 inch thick layer of comet impact debris near Sandusky

Post by E.P. Grondine »

dated to 10,900 BCE, with tools and blast killed mega-fauna

http://www.theprogressortimes.com/news/ ... leID=10335

Did extraterrestrial event alter the course of history?

BY DAN REINHART

For years Sheriden Cave, west of Carey, has been recognized as one of the foremost archaeological sites in the Americas, if not the world. At the cave scientists have unearthed extinct animal species and artifacts that have been undisturbed since the last ice age.

Recently, however, excavations by Dr. Ken Tankersley, an archaeologist from the University of Cincinnati, have uncovered evidence that indicate an extraterrestrial event some 13,000 years ago may have permanently altered the course of history in the Americas and possibly the whole world. As a result the cave will be featured in several upcoming documentaries on the Discovery Channel and the History Channel.

"The most interesting county."

"Wyandot County is the most interesting county in Ohio," Tankersley told a group gathered at Woody's restaurant in Upper Sandusky Dec. 4. Tankersley was the guest speaker at the "First Citizens Presents" breakfast and he has appeared in documentaries on a host of television channels including PBS, Discovery, National Geographic, Animal Planet and others. He also worked on a film with the late Steve Irwin.

Tankersley said that besides being shaped in a square because it was the last Indian reservation in the State of Ohio, Wyandot County also contains, at Sheriden Cave, a "complete, uninterrupted archaeological sequence spanning the 13,000 years since the last ice age."

Tankersley said he first became interested in the area in the early 1990s. He was in New York at the time and a friend who was doing some work at Sheriden Cave told him that excavations there had uncovered fossils from a number of extinct species – including the short-faced bear – that previously had never been found in the State of Ohio.

National attention.

Excavation at the cave also uncovered a flaked stone artifact that was dated back some 13,000 years to an ancient people known as the Clovis culture. Tankersley said that although there are other Clovis sites in the world, Sheriden Cave is the only site where animal fossils can be found right alongside the flaked stone tools ancient people of the same time period made. For that reason Sheriden Cave became a major archaeological discovery.

Tankersley said he originally became involved in Sheriden Cave excavations because remnants of an ancient peccary had been found there. He came to look at the site and after finding a number of artifacts he wrote to the National Science Foundation who, with the help of the Hendricks family, who own the cave, agreed to sponsor an excavation there in 1996.

Tankersley eventually found a number of bones that had been carved into tools and a fluted Clovis point among the remains of various extinct animals. He noted that some of the ancient bones found in Sheriden Cave are fresher than you might find on a modern road-kill. "It's absolutely incredible," he said. "They're abundant and very well preserved."

The Black Mat.

As the excavations continued workers began to uncover a lot of burnt bones. Tankersley said that at first no one paid very much attention to them but eventually questions were raised about how the bones got burned. He said it was obvious that if primitive man had cooked an animal so much that the bones were burned, no one would have wanted to eat the meat. They concluded that the primitive people must have thrown the bones in the fire after they were done eating. But there was no evidence of hearths in the cave. "Why were these animal bones so severely burned?" Tankersley asked.

As excavators searched for an answer to the burnt bones they began to notice an inch-thick layer of earth in the sediment throughout the cave that was black. Scientists were able to obtain 30 radiocarbon dates that indicated the layer of burned material, or "Black Mat," was about 13,000 years old. It dated to about the same time period that Clovis man and many of the mega-beasts disappeared. (The radiocarbon dates have made Sheriden Cave one of only 12 securely dated Clovis sites in the world.)

A new theory takes shape.

With the help of a man named Alan West, Tankersley found that Black Mat layers have been discovered in other late Ice Age sites across the country from the Carolinas to Texas and even into Canada. In each instance the Black Mat of burnt material dates back to the same time period. Furthermore, the Black Mats contain an abundance of micrometeorites. Tankersley said that soil from the Black Mat in Sheriden Cave contains so many magnetic, microscopic meteorites that he can wave a child's magnet across samples of the soil and cover the magnet with them.

Tankersley took the Black Mat material to the University of Cincinnati and magnified it 10,000 times through an electron microscope. He found it was also filled with microscopic "detonation diamonds." He said the majority of the (microscopic) diamonds in the Black Mat are extraterrestrial.

Tankersley pointed out that when asteroids and meteorites explode over the earth they create diamonds. He says the ones at Sheriden Cave are either directly from objects from outer space or they are the result of a major explosion over the earth – like a comet exploding over organic material that compressed it and made diamonds. Tankersley said it is increasingly likely that an asteroid or meteor is the reason for the disappearance of the Clovis people and the mega-beasts 13,000 years ago.

Tankersley said the evidence indicates that the catastrophic event may not have wiped out Clovis man and the mega mammals completely, but life definitely changed and creatures that survived the event had to find a way to exist in a changed environment. For example, there wasn't a lot of food around and since the mega mammals required a lot of food to survive, they had to adapt or die. He said some of the mega mammals became smaller.

Although evidence indicates that an asteroid created the Black Mat, no one has ever found a crater to prove where the event originated. Some scientists believe that Hudson Bay may actually be the crater.

13,000 years later.

Tankersley said that the implications for us in the 21st century are sobering in that the impact of another history-altering asteroid with earth is not a question of "if" it will happen, but "when" it's going to happen next.

Tankersley said that some of the people from Wyandot County who made his work at Sheriden Cave possible include Keith Hendricks and his father Richard, Kate Orians who wrote a number of stories about Tankersley and his work for The Progressor-Times and Dale Stansbery of the Ohio Archaeological Council.

Tankersley also noted that the latest discoveries made at Sheriden Cave will be featured in a film on the Discovery Channel in December and another film on the History Channel this spring.

EDITED TO MAKE A "STICKY" AND ALSO TO ADD THIS LINK TO SCIENCE DAILY.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 160950.htm
Cognito

Comet

Post by Cognito »

These ongoing discoveries are convincing. Normally, catastrophic events are to be viewed with extreme skepticism; however, scientific evidence is mounting. Recommended reading:

The Cycle of Cosmic Catastropes:
Flood, Fire and Famine in the History of Civilizaton

Richard Firestone, Allen West, and Simon Warwick Smith
Bear & Company, Rochester, Vermont (2006)

http://store.innertraditions.com/Produc ... 9143-061-5

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Cosmic-Cata ... 1591430615
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

:D

"No mas" says the Club.

"Mas," says science!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 172136.htm
Abundant tiny particles of diamond dust exist in sediments dating to 12,900 years ago at six North American sites, adding strong evidence for Earth's impact with a rare swarm of carbon-and-water-rich comets or carbonaceous chondrites, reports a nine-member scientific team.
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la- ... 6970.story
Diamonds show comet struck North America, scientists say
The impact caused an ice age that killed some mammal species and many humans 12,900 years ago, researchers report. They say the discovery of tiny heat-formed diamonds is proof of the catastrophe.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Minimalist wrote::D

"No mas" says the Club.

"Mas," says science!
What's really strange here is the reaction to Tankersley's site near Sandusky, where he has demonstrated a 1 inch layer of comet impactites, which does not make it to new of the day, while the AGU presentations do.

Why? This question is one for the sociologists, not archaeologists.

By the way, if any of you here do not yet own a personally signed copy of my book "Man and Impact in the Americas", they'll never be a a better time than now to get one.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas
E.P. Grondine

Re: Comet

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Cognito wrote:These ongoing discoveries are convincing. Normally, catastrophic events are to be viewed with extreme skepticism; however, scientific evidence is mounting. Recommended reading:

The Cycle of Cosmic Catastropes:
Flood, Fire and Famine in the History of Civilizaton

Richard Firestone, Allen West, and Simon Warwick Smith
Bear & Company, Rochester, Vermont (2006)

http://store.innertraditions.com/Produc ... 9143-061-5

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Cosmic-Cata ... 1591430615
Its strange, but David Hatcher Childress has managed to get his books linked to Dr. Firestone's on the amazon site. Anybody have any idea how he managed to do this? It isn't automatic, and it isn't by sales.

E.P. Grondine
Amazing Stories - write me for your free copy
E.P. Grondine

It's Bizarre

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Firestone and Kenneth's work gets covered, while Tankersley's definitive site near Sandusky is ignored, even here at Archaeology in the News.

My thinking is that Firestone and his team work geological channels, and thus the science writers pick up on their work, while Tankersley is simply an archaeologist. But even then smaller finds get links in Archaeology in the News, so what explains this?

Is it simply that Firestone and Kenneth's work still leaves open the possibility that this did not happen, while Tankersley's site closes that option off? Is there some sort of denial mechanism at work?

E.P.
Cognito

Marketing

Post by Cognito »

Firestone and Kenneth's work gets covered, while Tankersley's definitive site near Sandusky is ignored, even here at Archaeology in the News.
EP, I believe this is more a result of marketing as opposed to anything else. Tankersley's work and site have rekindled my interest in the celestial impact event and Younger Dryas. This is a really wild theory, but science is science and the evidence is overwhelming. BTW, I never believed the overkill megafauna extinction theory, even as a kid. :roll:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I ran a couple of searches for "Ken Tankersley" on Google News for the last month and found no hits.

Maybe he needs a better press agent?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

The real key seems to be that Firestone worked through geological channels, and had funding and publication sources well outside NASA's Dr. David Morrison's control. Morrison has always held that asteroids hit 95% of the time, with comets hitting only 5%.

It's not simply a question of press agents, though Bear has good ones.
The distribution of Firestone's team's book through the national chains is important.

When Tankersley pointed to silver and diamond impact ejecta in southern Indiana and Ohio last year the story got big play, even though those were small beans compared to the cave excavation. I suppose that interest in "diamonds and silver" had a lot to do with that.

I think that Kenneth got more support from his academic institution than Tankersley did. Tankersley should be working through the U of Cincinatti press office.

Last night I met a person in Kankakee, Illinois who said that he knew Ken Tankersley when he was working around there. I didn't have much more of a chance to ask him about him, but will soon.

Since I've had a stroke, I really need a major publisher to pick up "Man and Impact in the Americas" from my shoulders - one with copy editors, graphics people, production, distribution.

By the way, some of the peoples' traditions of these impacts may be read here:

http://forum.palanth.com/index.php/topi ... ml#msg3883

PS - From the news today I see Brad Lepper is still baffled by the stages of "Fort Ancient culture".

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas
(contact me off list for personally signed first edition copies at a low price)
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

I still can't figure this one out - perhaps its just that Sandusky and Ohio get no respect - think about it, when was the last time you saw a national headline from Ohio? The latest Ohio celebrity scandal? The latest economic news from Ohio? The latest science breakthrough in Ohio?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

When it went for Obama moments after Karl Rove said that McCain had to have Ohio?

Just a guess.

:lol:

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Ohio

Post by Cognito »

EP, Ohio in Japanese means "Hi" - that's your problem.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2009/6123.html
New data, published today, disproves the recent theory that a large comet exploded over North America 12,900 years ago, causing a shock wave that travelled at hundreds of kilometres per hour and triggering continent-wide wildfires.

This study, however, seems to ignore all the other evidence which has been presented.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Minimalist wrote:http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2009/6123.html
New data, published today, disproves the recent theory that a large comet exploded over North America 12,900 years ago, causing a shock wave that travelled at hundreds of kilometres per hour and triggering continent-wide wildfires.

This study, however, seems to ignore all the other evidence which has been presented.
Absolutely 100% correct there, Min. The well evidenced impact products did not come fires caused by global warming. That's another one of the reasons why Tankersley's site in important.

One of the frustrating things for me was that Dr. Benny Peiser took the Cambridge Conference, which was devoted to paleo-climatology and impact, over to global warming scepticism in 2004. Thus he not only stopped rapid exchange of impact research, but he moved global warming researchers into those opposing impact.

While Benny is correct that trading paper will do nothing to combat global warming, and has had very bad economic consequences in Europe, his constant belittlement of clean energy solutions is not helpful at all.

In the meantime, impact research slogs along - a real kick in the teeth on top of my stroke.
Cognito

Impact

Post by Cognito »

Yes, I would still like to see some sort of explanation for the high temperature spherules being found in layers coincident to 10,900bce. Those spherules scream atmospheric detonation from an extraterretrial event. Whether there were fires or not doesn't make those go away.