Another Shaky Headline

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Another Shaky Headline

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Heritage ... 06636.html

The Headline says: 85,000 years old villages found

But the story says: New archaeological discoveries in Sharjah's Jebel Fayah showed that human settlements existed in the area over 85,000 years ago.

Obviously, there is a big difference between a "village" and a "settlement."

Jebel Fayah is in Dubai.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Could have something to do with the translation from Arabic.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I am sorry, but I am finding some of these age estimates edging toward the unbelievable.

You seem to have China, the Arab areas, and Africa all trying to be the first.

The next argument will be “Since the first were from our country, we are the rightful rulers of the world.”

We are going to get the Palestine / Israel thing all over again, but on a global scale.

Does anybody remember that whenever something was discovered or accomplished Russia would suddenly find something older, or that went faster or higher, or was bigger?

National pride can poison any discipline.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I doubt that Dubai has delusions of world domination.

:D

@Sam. Possible.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

kbs2244 wrote:I am sorry, but I am finding some of these age estimates edging toward the unbelievable.

You seem to have China, the Arab areas, and Africa all trying to be the first.

The next argument will be “Since the first were from our country, we are the rightful rulers of the world.”

We are going to get the Palestine / Israel thing all over again, but on a global scale.

Does anybody remember that whenever something was discovered or accomplished Russia would suddenly find something older, or that went faster or higher, or was bigger?

National pride can poison any discipline.
Agreed-nationalism /chauvinism pollutes everything it touches.
Minimalist wrote:I doubt that Dubai has delusions of world domination.....
Not now that they've gone broke....... :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Agreed-nationalism /chauvinism pollutes everything it touches.
I wonder why that is so, is it people's 'normal' reaction or is it a funding advantage.
My heritage is Ashkenasi Jew, ie, central Asia, plus German, Dutch and Anglo Saxon and I live in Wales and, perhaps? because of this I don't have any bias at all.
My motto is the same as Gill Grissom in CSI. follow the evidence!
Anything else means that you inevitably end up with egg on your face.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

These articles are always frustrating. I did a search for an actual report, abstract, or pdf, and found nothing. This has the potential to be big news, but they didn't give us any news at all.

I'm guessing their were no human remains, but humans always leave their trash around. Artifacts could tell us an awful lot. And who were they? Are these the people that went on toward Australia like the article says or did Neanderthal move farther south? This used to be a lush country with a large river running through it. Any human would enjoy going there I think.

I'll keep looking for a scientific report.