Let's see.........

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Let's see.........

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 223022.htm
Genetic evidence is revealing that human populations began to expand in size in Africa during the Late Stone Age approximately 40,000 years ago.
But...
For the first time ever, Hammer's team was able to investigate the timing of human population expansion by applying sophisticated inferential statistics to a large multilocus autosomal data set re-sequenced in multiple contemporary sub-Saharan African populations.
this sounds like a fancy way to say " we guessed."
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
archaeo

Re: Let's see.........

Post by archaeo »

I accept inferential statistics as a valid tool.
Also, the timing 40 kya fits a post-Toba-bottleneck scenario well.

"surveyed the genetic material of ~184 individuals from seven human populations .... approximately ten-fold population growth beginning well before the origin of agriculture"
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

archaeo wrote:I accept inferential statistics as a valid tool.
"surveyed the genetic material of ~184 individuals from seven human populations .... approximately ten-fold population growth beginning well before the origin of agriculture"
Apparently sex became popular.
'Cool' in today's jive.
That would constitute a cultural paradigm shift, no?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

archaeo wrote:I accept inferential statistics as a valid tool.
Also, the timing 40 kya fits a post-Toba-bottleneck scenario well.

Don't mind me, Archaeo, I'm a suspicious old goat.

Somehow, everytime a computer is programmed the answer always seems to agree with the programmer.

Welcome, btw.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin