Kon Tiki Film on YouTube

All points south!

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Sam Salmon

Kon Tiki Film on YouTube

Post by Sam Salmon »

Surfing around last night came across the Youtube link for the Academy Award winning film of the Kontiki voyage

Stirring stuff for someone who read the book many time, has seen the raft and spent time on both the Eastern and South Pacific.

No matter how Heyerdahl's theories shake out the voyage di have an tremendous impact and the recent death of Knut Haugland lends some poignancy to the film.

And of course no post would be complete without a reference to the Sweet Potato :wink:
Last edited by Sam Salmon on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digit

Re: Kon Tiki Film on YouTube

Post by Digit »

I had the book for many years Sam, and right or wrong in his ideas, he at least moved archaeology away from Europe for a while.
He was also a decorated hero of the Norwegian underground in WW2, he lived life to the full. A great man.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:I had the book for many years Sam, and right or wrong in his ideas, he at least moved archaeology away from Europe for a while.
He was also a decorated hero of the Norwegian underground in WW2, he lived life to the full. A great man.
Yeah, I met him when I was 19. And, having read his book a number of times, I was awe-struck, of course. He proved to be an extremely friendly man, though, over lunch at my parents' place. Keen to patiently answer all my dumb questions about Kon-Tiki and Ra I and II. He (and Erich von D.) opened my eyes to alternatives to the accepted hypotheses in archaeology. Erich von Däniken was the theoreticus, Heyerdahl the practicus.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yes he was great writer RS, I feel the age of exploration ended with him.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt