Were Neandertals Victorians?

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

Re: Were Neandertals Victorians?

Post by circumspice »

I wouldn't say that there is censorship concerning ancient Egyptian depictions of sexually oriented subjects. They're readily available all over the internet. As for statues depicting individual pharaohs ala Min... (the Egyptian god, not Minimalist) I never heard of any reference of that type of statuary existing. (except for predynastic and early dynastic statuary that might be a god or it might be a king, who knows?) The Victorians notwithstanding, I've seen many such examples of sexually explicit ancient Egyptian artwork, in print, since my youth. I remember wondering why such frankly sexual themes hadn't been censored. Of course, I had to sneak the books off of the shelves and read them in the library, fearing that the librarian wouldn't allow me to check the book out. So I suppose there was some sort of censorship being exercised at the time.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

circumspice wrote:I wouldn't say that there is censorship concerning ancient Egyptian depictions of sexually oriented subjects. They're readily available all over the internet.
They are? If they are so 'readily available' why didn't you post any then? Post a couple* for my edification, please, because I can't find them! Especially not the upright standing pharaoh reliefs that clearly show that a huge, erect penis was chiselled away...

*or if you're too prude to post images like that, please post relevant URLs.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

(the Egyptian god, not Minimalist)

I'm usually flattered by the comparison.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:
(the Egyptian god, not Minimalist)
I'm usually flattered by the comparison.
You're "usually flattered" to be compared to a god? To a figment of the imagination...?
Then either you drink too much or Arch got to you. Or both.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm not sure what the reason is.

It will come to me.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Ithyphallic images, ala Min

Post by circumspice »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
circumspice wrote:I wouldn't say that there is censorship concerning ancient Egyptian depictions of sexually oriented subjects. They're readily available all over the internet.
They are? If they are so 'readily available' why didn't you post any then? Post a couple* for my edification, please, because I can't find them! Especially not the upright standing pharaoh reliefs that clearly show that a huge, erect penis was chiselled away...

*or if you're too prude to post images like that, please post relevant URLs.

Nah, I'm not too prudish to post the pics. It may take a while, as this forum only allows 3 attachments... The url is for an amusing article on this subject.

http://ancientstandard.com/2007/06/26/t ... 93-300-bc/
min.jpg
min.jpg (38.33 KiB) Viewed 14235 times
min1.jpg
min1.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 14235 times
min2.jpg
min2.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 14235 times
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

More ithyphallic images

Post by circumspice »

Another amusing article: http://www.antinopolis.org/hernestus/an ... lyphs.html

hathor2.jpg
hathor2.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 14234 times
min1681057805_0709212bbb.jpg
min1681057805_0709212bbb.jpg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 14234 times
osiris-ithyphallic-geb-auto-f950.jpg
osiris-ithyphallic-geb-auto-f950.jpg (77.03 KiB) Viewed 14234 times

circumspice

Finally... defaced ithyphallic images!

Post by circumspice »

It took a little searching, but I found a few defaced images. Note: the defaced ithyphallic images are NOT kings/pharaohs... they are: the god Min, central figure in the upper register, in the first relief; and a king/pharaoh is being presented to the ithyphallic god Amun-Re in the 2nd relief pictured. (originally Amenhotep III and usurped by Alexander the Great)

Now go find some images yourself, it's not that hard.
defacedkarnak3-7.jpg
defacedkarnak3-7.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 14234 times
defacedluxortemple6-11.jpg
defacedluxortemple6-11.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 14234 times

Rokcet Scientist

Cheers.
'Funny' how teachers, archaeologists, and historians, throughout the last few centuries anyway, always waffle on about hats/crowns and vultures, cobras, feathers, sceptres and other symbols, and of glued on beards, while they magically manage to avoid what was the most poignant attribute displayed in the reliefs they're describing/teaching about.

One wonders what else they twist(ed).
Rokcet Scientist

I found another one. Well, two really. Presented to the world by our friend Zahi Hawass of course: a 'brandnew' double tomb, one inside the other, near the pyramid of Saqqara, of a father and son who were scribes (to Djoser?). Not gods! From the old kingdom.

I.o.w. a huge erect penis was a very important attribute, literally very prominent!, for all male ancient Egyptian citizens, not just for (some) gods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9PNJbANRU
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

LOL! :lol: RS I really don't think that those are penises. The ancient Egyptians had absolutely no compunction about depicting sexually oriented images...
But they were always depicted fairly realistically, except for size maybe... :mrgreen: I don't believe they'd ever depict a 'square' penis. :lol:
Back to the drawing board... :D

Digit

Post by Digit »

Equally I see no reason to assume that HNS did not wear loin cloths/clothing. Apart from keeping your backside warm such would be useful protection in thick under growth. Few peoples seem to have chosen nakedness.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

circumspice wrote:LOL! :lol: RS I really don't think that those are penises. The ancient Egyptians had absolutely no compunction about depicting sexually oriented images...
But they were always depicted fairly realistically, except for size maybe... :mrgreen: I don't believe they'd ever depict a 'square' penis. :lol:
Back to the drawing board... :D
That image is a blown up screen shot from the video, Dig... It is not a photo. Zahi certainly did his best to distract attention away from 'them' by pointing out other glyphs in the same fresco (if it is that).
Digit

Post by Digit »

That image is a blown up screen shot from the video, Dig... It is not a photo.
??

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt