Stormy weather!

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Stormy weather!

Post by Digit »

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... in_advance

Before a certain gentleman of our aquaintance starts on me about English :lol: I would point out that there is a very distinct difference between 'prediction' and 'forecasting!'

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Re: Stormy weather!

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:I would point out that there is a very distinct difference between 'prediction' and 'forecasting!'
But on the other side of the pond that nuance, like most, is probably lost ("in translation" between English and English... :lol: ).
And then it's a colloquialism. :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Nope! The report is from a British English source and in British English there is a distinct difference what ever American English, or Wenglish or Chinglish may use in their versions.
Predictions are what fortune tellers charge you for! :lol:

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Nope! The report is from a British English source and in British English there is a distinct difference what ever American English, or Wenglish or Chinglish may use in their versions.
Predictions are what fortune tellers charge you for! :lol:
That difference may be too subtle for American English, or Wenglish or Chinglish speakers. Who all outnumber you 100 to 1.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Agreed. But as the writer works for a British agency it is hardly unreasonable that he should speak our language.
We have enough problems when the Guardian pronounces that a women in South Africa is 'shot dead and killed' without official bodies murdering the language.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hurricane forecasts can be made years in advance

I have friends and family on the Atlantic coast of South Carolina so I always pay attention to the tropical weather forecasts. This year the NOAA predicted "above average" hurricane activity.

There wasn't.

However, I cannot disagree with the quote above. Forecasts CAN be made.

Accurate forecasts still seem to elude them though.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Thinking back on the difference between forecasts and predictions Min, with the recent record of our lot, predictions is probably the correct term!
Bet they cost a lot more than a fair ground fortune teller though!

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"Wild-assed guess" might be a better term.

I'm sure you're right about the cost. Satellites aren't cheap.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:"Wild-assed guess" might be a better term.

I'm sure you're right about the cost. Satellites aren't cheap.
And apparently only very marginally reliable, it turns out.

So I won't be surprised by a serious downgrading of those spectacular Hubble and ISS results of the last few years...