Tectonic Striae

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

dannan14

Re: Tectonic Striae

Post by dannan14 »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:In drill cores, age is a function of depth.
Just because they couldn't get any deeper doesn't mean there's nothing older beyond. To the contrary. It virtually guarantees that what's beyond is older.
Ok, this is what i was responding to when i told you to read up on mid-oceanic ridges. Why do you think that oceanic crust would be older the deeper it is drilled? that is trust for the sedimentary part on top, but the basalt created at the ridge extends down to the mantle and would be of uniform age since it was created as a block.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Ever seen a mud geyser percolate? That's the small and fast version of what happens at the mid-atlantic ridge: magma, basaltic or otherwise, gets 'thrown'/pushed out and gulfs over the edge, over older material. And that thus layered crust gets pushed outward, followed by newer layered blobs. Etc. etc.
Ergo: the oldest material of the crust is furthest from its point of emergence from the mantle, and deepest. Therefore close to subduction zones.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I can't that's why I asked. Vertical grooves would show that either one part went up or that the other went down, so perhaps you could explain?

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:I can't that's why I asked. Vertical grooves would show that either one part went up or that the other went down, so perhaps you could explain?
They are not grooves. They are splits.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Striae is Greek for grooves actually, but any way, I still wish to know in any form of movement how you can establish the direction of that movement after a long passage of time?

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Striae is Greek for grooves actually, but any way, I still wish to know in any form of movement how you can establish the direction of that movement after a long passage of time?
By looking at it.
Digit

Post by Digit »

In other words it is not possible to tell, only that a relative movement took place. Thus it in no manner establishes any form of terrestial expansion.
Ta!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:In other words it is not possible to tell, only that a relative movement took place. Thus it in no manner establishes any form of terrestial expansion.
Ta!
If you had ever played with your mother's dough, you would know. Alas, apparently you never did.
Digit

Post by Digit »

You're still using guess work. If one slab moves up and 'tother stays put there is no way visually that you can decide as to whether one slab went up or 'tother went down.

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:You're still using guess work. If one slab moves up and 'tother stays put there is no way visually that you can decide as to whether one slab went up or 'tother went down.
I don't know what you're on about. I never said anything about one thing going up and another down. It was ALL pushed up and stretched afaic. That's how you get striae. Ask your wife.
Digit

Post by Digit »

You are now trying to tell me that the Earth expanded like a balloon?

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:You are now trying to tell me that the Earth expanded like a balloon?
No, I did that a few pages back already, but that apparently escaped your attention. In fact this whole thread is about it...
Digit

Post by Digit »

I take it you mean this...
Striae are the result of expansion, gentlemen, as any lady can tell you. So here's graphic evidence that our planet Terra expanded! A lot! As in: it got bigger! It's pumped itself up! (And probably still does).
..in medical terms striae are indeed stretch marks. But to clarify the the point I have one also, from surgery. Striae are grooves. In geological terms they do not mean stretch marks ar all, here...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... 4w&cad=rja
This thesis examines linear abrasion features (mostly striae) from five different environments, three glacial (temperate, polythermal and cold) and two non-glacial environments (mass movement and tectonic)
..hence my confusion with your terminology.
Now, taking your statement that such exist all over the ocean floor, perhaps you would explain how to distinguish a crumple zone from your stretch marks.

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

No thanks
Digit

Post by Digit »

I thought you might find it a little difficult. Image

Roy.