FBI's illegal activities reported

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

FBI's illegal activities reported

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

EFF – Electronic Frontier Foundation – has uncovered widespread violations stemming from FBI intelligence investigations from 2001 — 2008. In a report released today, EFF documents alarming trends in the Bureau's intelligence investigation practices, suggesting that FBI intelligence investigations have compromised the civil liberties of American citizens far more frequently, and to a greater extent, than was previously assumed. Using documents obtained through EFF's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) litigation, the report finds: Evidence of delays of 2.5 years, on average, between the occurrence of a violation and its eventual reporting to the Intelligence Oversight Board; reports of serious misconduct by FBI agents including lying in declarations to courts, using improper evidence to obtain grand jury subpoenas, and accessing password-protected files without a warrant; and indications that the FBI may have committed upwards of 40,000 possible intelligence violations in the 9 years since 9/11.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/01/e ... telligence

So when will who haul 'm into court?
On 40,000 counts...
Digit

Re: FBI's illegal activities reported

Post by Digit »

You really do have a phobia about the States don't you RS?.....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... TQ&cad=rja

The number of telephones tapped by the police in the Netherlands is over 10 times higher than in the US.
From the above.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You'd think he lived here, wouldn't you?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

He might be less anti if he did Min.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He'd be a tea bagger.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:You really do have a phobia about the States don't you RS?....
No. What happens there determines what happens here. Yet I have no democratic say in it. That's reality. Not a phobia. So the only thing I can do about it is trying to ensure the US' hypocrisy is not swept under the carpet.
Simply applying my freedom of speech. Like those on Al Tahrir square do. And they are right too.
The number of telephones tapped by the police in the Netherlands is over 10 times higher than in the US.
Pray how does that justify 40,000 plus violations of civil liberties?
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digit

Post by Digit »

What happens in the States determines what happens here?
The EU allowing the carrying of arms, reintroduction of the death penalty etc? Come on RS.
The interception of people's private concerns is an invasion of their privacy, it matters not at all as to whether that is 'legal' or 'illegal'.
If your country's authorities have not breached their own laws at some time I would suggest that that infers that they have written your laws so broadly that little or any such activities are 'illegal!'
Government can make anything they wish 'legal', as in the Nuremberg Laws!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:What happens in the States determines what happens here?
The EU allowing the carrying of arms, reintroduction of the death penalty etc? Come on RS.
American financial machinations cost me, personally, three quarters of a million €uros, Roy. Plus: the American president publicly threatened to invade my country, its staunch ally. So I'm mad as hell about those betrayals, and you can't tell me I can't criticize the US. I've got the moral right and every reason to!
The interception of people's private concerns is an invasion of their privacy, it matters not at all as to whether that is 'legal' or 'illegal'.
If your country's authorities have not breached their own laws at some time I would suggest that that infers that they have written your laws so broadly that little or any such activities are 'illegal!'
Government can make anything they wish 'legal', as in the Nuremberg Laws!
The difference is that I have the democratic and legal right to publicly criticize, debate, amend, and appeal Dutch law. Not US law.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The difference is that I have the democratic and legal right to publicly criticize, debate, amend, and appeal Dutch law. Not US law.

Don't feel bad...they don't care what I think, either.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I have no problem with you criticising a foreign government if you wish to, but your criticisms always seem to come across as though your country is some how better.
If your losses were due to investing in the US I would ask why you did not do so in your own country, if your losses were from internal causes you should take that up with your own people.
I have never found any ref to the US threatening to invade your country, they most certainly did so in 1944, as did Germany in 1940, yet the Germans seem to have been forgiven for the act but not the US for a threat. Seems odd to me.
If the Germans are now 'friends', how long before the States enters the same blissful condition?
On phone tapping etc you are attempting to compare two country's legal systems with each with no commonality between them, that is pointless.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I have never found any ref to the US threatening to invade your country, they most certainly did so in 1944, as did Germany in 1940

Operation Market-Garden which did do a lot of damage to Holland was primarily a British operation: XXX Corps and 1st Airborne. Planned by Montgomery it did borrow the US 101st airborne (Eindhoven) and 82d airborne ( Nijmegen),

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Market Garden certainly was Min, Monty thought it was gonna be a cake walk, US troops and armor entered Holland later.
I still have no knowledge of your country threatening Holland though, have you?

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

No, no...we were threatening the Germans who were hiding there. "Collateral damage" can be a bitch, though.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

ImageImage
Yep!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:I still have no knowledge of your country threatening Holland though
FYI (since you apparently missed it):
In 2002 the United Nations voted overwhelmingly for, and installed the International Criminal Court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... inal_Court), a permanent set up to prosecute war criminals and violators of human rights (Nuremberg, Bosnia, Uganda, etc. were temporary courts). The Netherlands offered to be the seat of the ICC. Accepted by the UN.
The ICC needed to be ratified by the parliaments/governments of all UN member nations. The US have steadfastly refused to do so ever since (including Obama). No formal reason given. But it is abundantly clear that they refuse because ratification would mean that American citizens, like citizens of any country, could be hauled in front of the ICC for war crimes and human rights violations (e.g. the whole Bush administration and Pentagon top brass for the illegal Iraq war). When pressed for a reason, in front of the cameras and microphones of the White House and combined world press corps, Bush Jr. stated the US would, if necessary, forcibly liberate American citizens in jail in The Hague for their court cases. I.o.w. Bush threatened The Netherlands, a long-time ally, with war! In no uncertain terms. And they sabotaged the United Nations (again).
the Germans seem to have been forgiven for the act but not the US for a threat. Seems odd to me.
That's because you're comparing apples and pears (again):
the Germans have been forgiven for WWII because 1) they were utterly destroyed themselves, 2) they ate a lot of humble pie for it over the last 65 years, and 3) they paid BIGtime war reparations. Besides, 98% of Germans alive today weren't even born when their fathers and grandfathers did their evil deeds. So how could we hold a grudge against those who never actually did anything wrong?
They were victims just as we were. They had to grow up and live in a guilt-ridden, destroyed nation the cause of which they never had anything to do with!
The US, however, were never utterly destroyed, don't even know the meaning of the words humble pie – because they are simply arrogant bastards (in the global political arena), and they only profited, BIGtime, from their evil deeds. And 90% of those who were instrumental in that (now under the moniker of 'neocons'), are still alive today.
Continuing to callously manipulate markets, nations, and people through their front men in the White House, feds, banks, and uniform.