West Bank Whackos

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

West Bank Whackos

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Documentary by Louis Theroux: Ultra Zionists. 53 minutes, 211.2MB; download here http://wtrns.fr/oHNAF74Z1x9Emc. Aired February 3rd, on the BBC.

A social anthropological object lesson: scary fundies. The nemeses of progress. Plain whackos, of course. Holding the entire middle east, and the world at large hostage.
Not least the American taxpayer.
Because they are the chosen people...
Digit

Re: West Bank Whackos

Post by Digit »

I doubt that few facts will change your view here anymore than they have elsewhere, but for the record, most Israelis are secular, and the poor US taxpayer also funds the Palestinians. The Arab world has been recently criticised for short falls in its contributions to the Palestinians.
Also for the record, fundamentalists of any religion all tend to the same script.
Blackmail, like, do what we say or we stop the oil! Did you forget that?

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I can't be bothered watching 50+ minutes of fundie drivel....I can get that from Arch any time I want.

There is one whacko over there, and I don't know if he's in this video or not, who has reinterpreted the OT (something they ALL do) so that if the tear down the Dome of the Rock and rebuild the temple the Messiah will appear.

This is the exact opposite of what is written about the Messiah, of course, (Ezekiel 37)
24"My servant David shall be king over them, and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall walk in my rules and be careful to obey my statutes. 25 They shall dwell in the land that I gave to my servant Jacob, where your fathers lived. They and their children and their children’s children shall dwell there forever, and David my servant shall be their prince forever. 26 I will make a covenant of peace with them. It shall be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will set them in their land and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in their midst forevermore. 27 My dwelling place shall be with them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 28Then the nations will know that I am the LORD who sanctifies Israel, when my sanctuary is in their midst forevermore."
Seems like it is the Messiah who is supposed to rebuild the temple, not some shmuck right-wing nutjob. Oh, and Jesus didn't rebuild the temple either and he doesn't get a second bite at the apple.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Like I said Min, all fun(d)ies work to the same script. They are right and the rest of the world is going to hell.
One script fits all!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Agreed.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:I can't be bothered watching 50+ minutes of fundie drivel....I can get that from Arch any time I want.

There is one whacko over there, and I don't know if he's in this video or not, who has reinterpreted the OT (something they ALL do) so that if the tear down the Dome of the Rock and rebuild the temple the Messiah will appear.

This is the exact opposite of what is written about the Messiah, of course, (Ezekiel 37)
24"My servant David shall be king over them, and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall walk in my rules and be careful to obey my statutes. 25 They shall dwell in the land that I gave to my servant Jacob, where your fathers lived. They and their children and their children’s children shall dwell there forever, and David my servant shall be their prince forever. 26 I will make a covenant of peace with them. It shall be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will set them in their land and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in their midst forevermore. 27 My dwelling place shall be with them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 28Then the nations will know that I am the LORD who sanctifies Israel, when my sanctuary is in their midst forevermore."
But apparently you can be bothered to read fundie drivel for hours on end... :lol:
Seems like it is the Messiah who is supposed to rebuild the temple, not some shmuck right-wing nutjob. Oh, and Jesus didn't rebuild the temple either and he doesn't get a second bite at the apple.
Well, he was a carpenter's son, wasn't he? So in theory he might have been capable of building a wooden shed. But a temple? Naaah. He'd break into a sweat. And I'm not aware of any episode in the NT where he ever broke a sweat. That was the miracle of personal body hygiene avant-la-lettre, of course. Today we have Rexona.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

But apparently you can be bothered to read fundie drivel for hours on end... :lol:

Arch can't write that much without tripping over his own dick.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Actually the Christian Bible claims that Jesus was a carpenter's son, there is no ref to him being so. But he is addressed as Rabbi.

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:
Arch can't write that much without tripping over his own dick.
But the canons, which you quoted, could and did.
Digit

Post by Digit »

So in theory he might have been capable of building a wooden shed.
I somehow doubt that Herod was noted for his brick laying skills either RS. Image

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Digit wrote:Actually the Christian Bible claims that Jesus was a carpenter's son, there is no ref to him being so. But he is addressed as Rabbi.

Roy.

The word used is "tekton" which seems to mean something less than a carpenter... more like a laborer. "Carpenter" would be a craftsman and thus a member of a whole higher social order.

Then, of course, there is the whole question of why anyone would be called "rabbi" long before "rabbinic Judaism" rose from the ashes of the temple a minimum of 40 years later.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Tekton is of course Greek Min, it is the root of technition, could mean just about anything really. My point was that it is the father's trade that is defined. Same with 'Rabbi', it has come to mean one who is ordained, but in the broader context it simply means 'teacher.'
Much translation by a native speaker of one language into another language is suspect as frequently some words simply don't translate easily.
Plus mistakes of course, like Petra/Peter.
Then misunderstandings, such as Mazel Tov or Kibizer when used by non Jews,

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There was a National Geographic special which looked closely at the word tekton in the context of first century Palestine a while back. Part of the issue seems to be that Galilee is not northern Europe with a heavily forested landscape. Wood is scarce and most houses are built of stone. The conclusion they reached was that Jesus, if he existed at all, was most likely a sort of day laborer and the biggest building project going on was Herod Antipas' restoration of Sepphoris going on just a couple of kilometers away from "Nazareth" ( if that existed!).

The rabbi thing strikes me as more significant as an anachronism. Prior to 70 AD the whole focus of Judaism was temple sacrifice. Once the temple was gone it reinvented itself. If you note throughout the NT "Jesus" is always fighting with the Pharisees. Yet it was the Sadducees who ran the temple and would have controlled the high priesthood in the 30's AD. But by the time the gospels were written the Sadducees were gone; their raison d'etre had vanished with the temple. It was the Pharisees who survived to form Rabbinic Judaism and, perhaps not so coincidentally, to serve as the "bad example" in the NT.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Rabbinical Judaism, as of today Min, is a by product of the temple destruction, there was no need for it before then.
The term, Rabbi, was first used pre CE.
I doubt that Jesus was a labourer for the simple reason that he had money.
Out of curiosity Min, how do you pronounce Rabbi on your side of the pond?

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Rabb-eye. (short a).

In the deep south I know they pronounce it "Jew-Boy."

:D

-- George Carlin