Vikings?

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Vikings?

Post by Minimalist »

The 'debate' on Badgers has clearly demonstrated that people have no understanding of facts and figures nor statistics, so each time time I point out that the UK's gun deaths are from illegally held fire arms and that they are comparing chalk and cheese, 'cos the US statistics posted cover murders, accidents, gang warfare and suicides etc whilst the Brit ones don't,

Hey, Dig....WTH have you been anyway?

I had a debate recently on another board. In 2009 there were in excess of 17,000 gun deaths in the US. Of those, 217 were classified as justifiable shootings of the type that Gunny envisions. That is a pretty piss poor percentage.

The truth of the matter is that having a gun in your house is far more dangerous to you, your family, or visitors than to any "criminal."
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Upto my neck in work Min. We have been installing a woodburning stove and building a wood store. As I live in a Canadian timber house of some age UK building codes and info are of no help, thus I have spent hours on American and Canadian internet sites seeking info.
Guns.
I have had guns of different types in my home over the years and have yet to shoot anybody, as I see it we over here we use knives etc whereas your people reach for a fire arm. Taking legal guns away, as has happened here, would logically result in eliminating deaths and injuries from accidental shootings, nothing more.
Or alternatively if we had freer access to fire arms gun deaths would rise and knifings would fall.
A shopkeeper here has been arrested this week for stabbing to death a burglar armed with a machete. A hand gun would have been easier to conceal than a machete, thus I suggest that the machete was second choice.
I had a great, though busy day yesterday though. I was collecting on behalf of a Prostate cancer charity, with me was the chaiman of the charity.
It was a hot and tiring day as I was on my feet for 6hrs, but one chap made it all worthwhile. He walked upto my friend and said, 'You won't remember me, but 12 months ago you persuaded me to have A PSA test. I did, and they discovered early stage Prostate cancer! I have been treated and am now in the clear! Thank you!'
I could have wept! It was a fantastic moment!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That's a great story, Dig.

I volunteer with a dog rescue outfit and all I ever get is a lick on the nose.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I volunteer with a dog rescue outfit and all I ever get is a lick on the nose.
It probably amounts to the same thing from the dog's point of view Min, and a very worthwhile job as well. I imagine it gives you a great deal of satisfaction, it would me.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Oh yeah....gets me out of the house on occasion, too!

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaAVZ2yXDBo

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Great! :lol:

Roy.
Digit

Post by Digit »

One thing about the events In Norway that are beginning to piss me off is the continuous beating of chests and tearing of hair by those who insist that the action is untypical of tolerant Europe.
BS!
Europe is the most intolerant 'society' I know of of! Europe is a creation of intolerance. We speak numerous languages that show our different origins, our nation states are the creation of numerous invasions.
The EU was created by left wing idealists who simply shut their eyes and minds to our historical differences and blindly pursued a course that was, and is, certain to end in disaster.
For centuries the Jews were the victims of 'Christian' intolerance, and when most had been destroyed the Christians turned on each other. Many of the early foundations in the US were created by those fleeing European intolerance.
The only people in Europe who now stand on the land of the original people in a recognised state are the Welsh, all the rest are either the descendents of refugees or invaders.
Norways much voiced 'tolerance' is the product of the fact that have never till recently had any foreign peoples living in their country, their tolerance had never previously been tested.
Here in the UK we are faced by groups of Muslims attempting to set up self governing enclaves controlled by Shariac laws. If history teaches us anything it is that people ignore history, but these fools in parts of London would do well to remember what happened, and is happening, in Ulster.
The Guardian readers, I fear, believe in a world they would like, not as it is!

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I agree. I rather expect a nationalist reaction.

In the US immigrants tend to want to assimilate as rapidly as possible....usually the second generation is the beginning and the 3d generation is indistinguishable from everyone else.

But I'm not close enough to the situation over there to understand it but the muslims are starting to sound like house guests who complain about everything their hosts do. Pretty soon it will dawn on Europe that the simplest solution to their desire is to send them back from whence they came where they can live in tents and throw rocks at their women.

The earliest tendencies of this are apparent in France of all places.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

The problem in Europe Min is its history of anti Semitism which leaves our liberal left with a guilt complex and thery see Muslims as the new Jews.
My comments that you have accepted have got me loads of abuse here because that complex prevents them from facing facts. State what I said and you are a racist. Europe has a history of invasions and occupations by Muslim forces, islam was spread by the sword.
Undoubtedly the majority of British Muslims are peacful, but like earlier Jewish immigrants they are exclusive, dress differently, speak a different language and that worries people, rightly or wrongly.
I am regularly informed that the extremists are few in number, my reply is simple, so are the PIRA, and look at th deaths they have caused.
How many does it take to make and plant a bomb?

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

How many does it take to make and plant a bomb?
Yes, but as the guy in Norway showed, that works both ways.

The problem of muslim immigrants in Europe always reminds me of this 'joke.'

A young Arab asks his father: What is this weird hat that we are wearing? 

It’s a “chechia” because in the desert it protects our heads from the sun!

And what is this type of clothing that we are wearing? 

It’s a “djbellah” because in the desert it is very hot and it protects your body!

And what are these ugly shoes that we have on our feet?

These are “babouches”, which keep us from burning our feet when in the desert!

Tell me, papa…

Yes, my son? 

Now that we are living in London why are we still wearing all this shit?

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

At one time the Sikhs were persecuted in India and part of the reason for the headgear is/was as an act of defiance, 'I am a Sikh!' like the name 'Singh.'
Frum Jews also wear medieval dress, and in many cases for the same reason. There seems little practical reason, at least in second generation people, for such dress codes.
The Grand Mufti has ruled that women need not wear the Burka in western countries.
I am secular and would not be easily recognised as as Jewish Min, but deep down I have some sympathy for these people as I will rise up at the slightest provocation and state, 'I am a Jew!' but I see no need to have the fact branded across my forehead either as most people would respond with, 'who cares?'

Roy.