Making an impression

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

Re: Making an impression

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Tiompan wrote:EP,that's not a response , that's an evasion .

George
There was no Harry and David's gift pack in the mail this morning, either, George.

Why the hell you think I have to explain myself to you is beyond me.
oldarchystudent

Post by oldarchystudent »

If you bollox it up you will need to explain yourself to a lot more people than him....

It you don't know what you're doing, don't take a chance. Take it to someone who can examine the artifact without destroying any evidence.
Last edited by oldarchystudent on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My karma ran over my dogma.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I have a question.

Am I correct in understanding this is a single surface we are concerned about?

Not an "all around" on all six sides type of thing.

But any "bumps" or "grooves" would be of intrest?

Is there any concern about coloring?
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

oldarchystudent wrote:If you bollox it up you will need to explain yourself to a lot more people than him....

It you don't know what you're doing, don't take a chance. Take it to someone who can examine the artifact without destroying any evidence.
Quite , what we are taliking about is possible vandalism , in the name of vanity .

George
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Tiompan wrote:
oldarchystudent wrote: If you bollox it up you will need to explain yourself to a lot more people than him....

Quite , what we are talking about is possible vandalism , in the name of vanity .

George
Well, OA, I'm certainly not excavating the main mound of Cahokia with a bulldozer.

Aside from that, I've explained to you multiple times that the hypothetical inscription is not mine to take anywhere. Further, the hypothetical object's owner would not allow anyone to do anything which might damage it.

The reason for the hypothetical impression is to make a cast to take to those who can best examine the hypothetical artifact.

George, I have no intention of vandalizing anything.

As far as vanity goes, I did not ask you for your analysis of why I hypothetically need to do this myself, but rather how it is done.

Just because you did not locate the hypothetical artifact is no reason to be jealous.

Continuing on the topic of vanity, your response to my simple question about the First Nations' glyph systems reveals your limits very clearly.
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

kbs2244 wrote:I have a question.
Actually, several questions, kb, but they are all relevant.
kbs2244 wrote: Am I correct in understanding this is a single surface we are concerned about?
No.
kbs2244 wrote: Not an "all around" on all six sides type of thing.
Hypothetically , it is indeed an "all around" type of thing.
kbs2244 wrote: But any "bumps" or "grooves" would be of interest?
Very much so, hypothetically.
kbs2244 wrote: Is there any concern about coloring?
The coloring of what?
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

EP , you may not intend to vandalise but may do so out of ignorance .
There is no jealousy , grow up .
There was no response to the glyph system enquiry , what did that have to do with recording ?

George
oldarchystudent

E.P. Grondine wrote: Well, OA, I'm certainly not excavating the main mound of Cahokia with a bulldozer.
Neither have I. However, you need to learn the difference between excavating and repairing a section of Monks Mound when it slumped.
Aside from that, I've explained to you multiple times that the hypothetical inscription is not mine to take anywhere. Further, the hypothetical object's owner would not allow anyone to do anything which might damage it.
Then the responsible, adult thing to do would be to avoid treading where you obviously don't know what you're doing. Advise him to reconsider and have a qualified expert look at it.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

E.P.
Your little request has turned into a bit of a fun project for me.
I learned a lot about my original idea of 3D scanning and then printing.
It is a infant technology just getting it’s commercial wings.
Thus it is full of energy and a lot of holes.[quote][/quote]

If you want to keep everything close to the vest, my advice would be to use one of the iPhone apps for the scanning and then one of the printing services for the image.

Free iPhone Scanning App
http://singularityhub.com/2012/09/15/fr ... d-scanner/

[quote]This is on guys opinion of the free app:

It won't be as accurate as a dedicated scanner, but with some practice and an iPhone (android as well?) you can use an app called 123d catch (free) + a free AutoCAD account (it prompts you to create one if you don't have it) to process photos into a 3d model. You can then log into the AutoCAD site and download the model in a variety of formats. Companies like shapeways can print it for you, though you may have to clean up the model first.

1 watch the in app tutorial
2 light the object well
3 put it on something with a pattern (app uses the 'floor pattern' and walls to generate depth data.)
4 circle the object in one direction, doing a loop at ground level, then a higher, and higher loop, taking pictures as you circle
5 get close to the object, but not so close that you chop bits of it off
6 take as many photos as it will let you, taking more photos in smaller arcs of complex surfaces
7 do it several times. The difference between my 5th capture and my 1st we stunning

It is not as accurate as a dedicated scanning rig, but it has the twin advantages of possibly being something you can do now and for free. I've gotten surprisingly good results. Then sending it to a friend in another state and having him print it was a very very cool geeky moment.[/quote]

A nice tutorial on the scanning side
http://www.makerscanner.com/

iPhone Scanning App
http://www.trimensional.com/

Printing Co.s
http://www.sculpteo.com/en/

http://www.shapeways.com/
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

George, OA -

My impression is that neither of you have ever made an impression of anything.
Further, your knowledge of First Nation's glyph usage appears to be nil.

Now it just so happens that some of the world's experts in taking impressions work about 2 hours from where I am now. Most likely, their notes on techniques are available in their library.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Hi kb -

I first saw 3D printing from AutoCad files demonstrated in the mid 1980's.

That there is an now an iPhone app to create AutoCad files from images is pretty awesome.

If the hypothetical object were friable, then this would appear to be the best way of tackling the problem. You could use this technique to make casts of Mississippian King's token tablets, for example.

You can create the tile pattern from 1/4 inch square marked notebook paper and a pencil.
You could also use a computer to design and print it.
For that matter, you could cut an object out of an image, scale it, and then paste it on a tiled background.

But this is really more than is needed in this case.
Thanks very much for the info and links though.
oldarchystudent

E.P. Grondine wrote:George, OA -

My impression is that neither of you have ever made an impression of anything.
Further, your knowledge of First Nation's glyph usage appears to be nil.

Now it just so happens that some of the world's experts in taking impressions work about 2 hours from where I am now. Most likely, their notes on techniques are available in their library.
I never claimed to be an expert on taking impressions, but it is obvious - neither are you. And the scary part is you're the one trying to do it on a real artifact when you don't have a clue. Sorry but that's just irresponsible. Be honest with whoever has this artifact and give it up.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

EP, You have misunderstood my reason for posting which had nothing to do with explaining how to record or knowledge of glyphs .
It was entirely related to prevention of harm of an artefact .

George
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Hi OA, Geroge -

I understand your reasons for posting very well.
They are pretty damn petty.
oldarchystudent

E.P. Grondine wrote:Hi OA, Geroge -

I understand your reasons for posting very well.
They are pretty damn petty.
If you think trying to stop you (or anyone) from screwing up an artifact is petty you are in the wrong forum.