Long hair a sensory organ?

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Frank Harrist

Long hair a sensory organ?

Post by Frank Harrist »

http://www.sott.net/article/234783-The- ... -Hair-Long
The discussion after the article is pretty interesting. What are your views and theories?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Long hair a sensory organ?

Post by Minimalist »

Custer had long hair.

Didn't help.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote:Custer had long hair.

Didn't help.
:lol:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Damn, Bob. A reply like that ends any chance of a good discussion. Thanks.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

This brings to mind the cats whiskers idea.
That they use them to determine if they can fit through a hole.
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

There has to be some reason we evolved with hair that keeps growing....some of us. You bald guys are missing a lot. :lol:
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Am I giving away too much if I say I remember a line from “Hair” that goes something like….
“I don’t have to cut it, it stops by itself !!”

It is an interesting cultural study, hair length/to cut or not/male vs. female.

I always enjoyed the idea behind the male shaven head except for a long pony tail type thing.
I was told it was so his guardian angel would have something to grab him by and pull him from danger.
I seem to remember it as being somewhat common in China, but also in at least one N A Indian tribe.
(I wonder how that idea got spread?)