Black Death Asteroid

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

Re: Black Death Asteroid

Post by E.P. Grondine »

uniface wrote:
Then how could he have been right about so much ?
And exactly what was Velikovsky right about?
uniface

Post by uniface »

Remedial Ed is not on my job description. :D
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

uniface wrote:Remedial Ed is not on my job description. :D
Its not on mine either, uni. :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Take it up with Leroy.
uniface

Post by uniface »

So why ask the question, then ? :oops:
uniface

Post by uniface »

So why ask me to provide it to you ?
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

uniface wrote:So why ask me to provide it to you ?
uni, while you are very good with the New York series,
our views on the value of Velikovsky's "work" differ.

Leroy Ellenberger knew V. very well, and is intimately familiar with the whole matter.
He will be happy to give you the facts.
uniface

Post by uniface »

My reference point is the predictions he made -- which ran completely "against the grain" of cosmology at his time -- which have been subsequently vindicated.

Yours seems to be how he arrived at them -- in particular, whether his methodology was "legitimate" (as evaluated by the mentality of those who were wrong at the time) (and largely still are).

To engineer types with pocket protectors, anybody without one can't be taken seriously.

I think the fallacy involved in that is pretty self-evident.

At least, to me it is.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

uniface wrote: My reference point is the predictions he made -- which ran completely "against the grain" of cosmology at his time -- which have been subsequently vindicated.
uni, my estimate is that in this case the validation lies entirely in the perception of the validator.
uniface

Post by uniface »

Can't discuss specifics because the dog ate your homework.

Again.

OK :roll:
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

uniface wrote:Can't discuss specifics because the dog ate your homework.

Again.

OK :roll:
TAKE ALL THINGS VELIKOVSKY UP WITH LEROY.
uniface

Post by uniface »

IOW, you know as much about what Velikovsky predicted as my cats do. Yet your opinion of him is definitive.

OK . . . :roll:

An opinion entertained in a factual vacuum is a belief, and no different in essence from any other belief.

For somebody who gets on the rag as often as you do about other people propounding (what you regard as) unsubstantiated beliefs . . . you surely do enough of it yourself sometimes (this being one of them).

IMO.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

uniface wrote:IOW, you know as much about what Velikovsky predicted as my cats do. Yet your opinion of him is definitive.

OK . . . :roll:

An opinion entertained in a factual vacuum is a belief, and no different in essence from any other belief.

For somebody who gets on the rag as often as you do about other people propounding (what you regard as) unsubstantiated beliefs . . . you surely do enough of it yourself sometimes (this being one of them).

IMO.
uni, when I want to discuss any item concerning V., such as his sources, his plagiarism, his bad physics, his bogus archaeology, etc. I discuss it with Leroy.
Leroy Ellenberger runs a Velikovsky group, and he will be happy to respond to your inquiries in depth.

I have other things to do, and you are wasting my time (and this board's bandwidth) with V.
once more, take it up with leroy, please.

As I have entirely too many cranks to deal with, please don't make yourself another of them.
uniface

Post by uniface »

You write yourself yet another excuse for not doing your homework, and expect me to buy it. That in addition to your implication that you're the brains of the outfit here, passing judgement on everybody else in a continual "save the day" crisis mode. Such a selfless hero.

If (since) that's what you care to believe, it's a free country I guess.

But you're still not free to pontificate on topics you're grossly ignorant of without getting called out.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

uniface wrote:You write yourself yet another excuse for not doing your homework, and expect me to buy it. That in addition to your implication that you're the brains of the outfit here, passing judgement on everybody else in a continual "save the day" crisis mode. Such a selfless hero.

If (since) that's what you care to believe, it's a free country I guess.

But you're still not free to pontificate on topics you're grossly ignorant of without getting called out.
uni, if you were completely useless, I would be even ruder.
There are many people sticking their arms down my throat in attempts to shut me up.
Some of them are about to get their arms torn off and handed back to them.

You can contact Leroy, and he'll explain V.,and my work on him, to you.
I ran V. back to his roots in the early 1600's.
If you want to talk about V. take it up with Leroy.
He'll be happy to go through it with you.

I am not a catastrophist; I specialize in "recent" comet and asteroid impacts;
It's not my job to straighten out people who have had their brains scrambled by either "Saturnian" cosmologists,
or theosophist pseudo-science, or other crap.

Peoples lives are at immediate peril from this hazard.
You're wasting many peoples' time and money, and endangering them.
Your motives in cluttering up a nice discussion about cosmic dust loads, climatic downturns, and disease vectors
wtih this $#!T is something that I hope everyone here will consider.

You may notice that I have about 600-700 pages of French translation to skim through.
Please stop wasting my time,and
TAKE IT UP WITH LEROY.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Hi uni -

I have not found my radio cheat sheet on Velikovsky, the key facts about a pretty deviant shrink.

What I have found reminds me of how little help Dr. David Morrison has been to Leroy, which strikes me as being pretty much in M.'s character. Sadly, I have little doubt that after Leroy has done the heavy work with the current lot of Saturnians, M. will step in and take the credit.

I also am upset by the fine physicist who's reputation the Thunderdolts are ruining.