More Giants

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Re: More Giants

Post by kbs2244 »

I do think the elongated skulls, giants, and pygmys, are separate subjects.

And, like crustal plate movement, just because it is not now accepted by the establishment, does’t mean enough new evidence will, at sometime, come to the surface to re-enforce any of the concepts.

Where there is smoke, there is often fire waiting to get to the surface.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

kbs2244 wrote:I do think the elongated skulls, giants, and pygmys, are separate subjects.

And, like crustal plate movement, just because it is not now accepted by the establishment, does’t mean enough new evidence will, at sometime, come to the surface to re-enforce any of the concepts.

Where there is smoke, there is often fire waiting to get to the surface.

And sometimes there is a guy fanning the flames so he can sell books, too.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

No argument on that point.

But how is that different than the "publish or die" need to keep your soft job?
Seems like a different market, but the same motive.

And either view may, or may not, be the truth.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

A con man keeps selling books.... check out all the ancient aliens crap.

Academics with bullshit stories are quickly detected and dismissed.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... on-reactor
An attempt by the Martin Fleischmann Memorial Project to replicate E-Cat, Andrea Rossi's alleged cold fusion reactor, ended explosively yesterday after the reactor heated to over 1,000C.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Min, I've read enough peer reviewed crap to counter that observation. After all, PhD stands for "Piled higher and deeper" ... :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

What? You mean Piltdown Man was not determined to be a hoax?

(I must have read that wrong!)

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

How many years was the flat earth concept the, peer reviewed, view?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Bad example. The Flat Earth shit is a 19th century projection which does not seem to have been valid.

Why not use the "god is punishing us" motif for people who did not know about micro-organisms?

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

He is. By inflicting people like you on us.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He told me to tell you that you deserve it!

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Min, I've read enough peer reviewed crap to counter that observation. After all, PhD stands for "Piled higher and deeper" ... :D
Min, a couple of examples where I spent years countering "peer reviewed" bigotry:

1. Neanderthals never interbred with H sapiens.

2. The first inhabitants of America were Clovis only.

The above points were backed up on posts by peer reviewed articles ad nauseum by those who lacked imagination and common sense, quoting "experts" who were limited in their thinking. Stuart Fidel still hasn't given up on Clovis First in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, and it took Svante Paabo's lab in Germany to reveal that most everyone outside of Africa has a trace of Neanderthal genetics.

Of course, once it becomes obvious that the pious, peer reviewed articles were wrong, those who espoused the positions became incredibly silent. I don't ever expect to hear a "We were wrong!" admission; however, many individuals keep marching down the same mental path of abrogating their analyses to those of experts.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

But Cogs, how long did it take after the Neanderthal genome study was released for that idea to vanish?

Sure, you'll have have a few fruitcakes but eventually when the evidence becomes compelling enough shitty scientific ideas vanish.

That's because some moron has not declared them to be "scripture."

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

But Cogs, how long did it take after the Neanderthal genome study was released for that idea to vanish?
Answer: About a year. Prior to Svante Paabo's release there were reliable studies showing evidence of ancient, non-Homo sapien admixture in the human genome, evidence that was ignored by most genetic researchers.
Sure, you'll have have a few fruitcakes but eventually when the evidence becomes compelling enough shitty scientific ideas vanish.
Stuart Fiedel and Jared Diamond might be annoying, but they cannot be classified as fruitcakes. They still have their heels dug in on Clovis First, years after it was pronounced dead.
That's because some moron has not declared them to be "scripture."
True, fundamentalists who believe the earth was created 6,000 years ago will continue to believe in myths and fairy tales. Unless the bible makes a direct reference to Neanderthals, they ain't gonna believe we partied down with another species. :shock:

My point is this: Relying on peer reviewed publications means taking on someone else's opinion regarding available evidence. That's alright as long as one remains skeptical. I often find peer reviewed articles to be slanted towards foregone conclusions while ignoring contradicting evidence. However, the scientific method involves the development of a testable hypothesis, not the presentation of consensus or opinion.

Observation: Only one fact is sufficient to invalidate a hypothesis.

Corollary: A hypothesis that cannot be tested is worthless. We seem to constantly have opinion floating around the Internet, disguised as fact.