Contemporary Great Pyramid Document

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

Contemporary Great Pyramid Document

Post by circumspice »

It would be really hard for the fringe group fondly dubbed as pyramidiots to refute a contemporary document concerning the final phases of the construction of the Great Pyramid, maintained by an inspecter named Merer... No ancient aliens... No 15,000 year old sphinx & pyramid complex...

http://www.livescience.com/55439-ancien ... eiled.html

This document, considered to be a logbook, was discovered in 2013 at an ancient Red Sea harbor site called Wadi al Jarf. This article is only a few days old so it's a fairly up-to-date news item.

I wonder if Michele could find a more detailed article or paper on this logbook?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
E.P. Grondine

Re: Contemporary Great Pyramid Document

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Those papyri should put an end to a lot of horse manure.

But those idiots will fall back on the Sphinx.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I went looking but did not find any kind of peer-review article.

Maybe I'll give it a run through Google Scholar when I get some time.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

This article, although nearly a year old, actually gives a little more detail about the nature of the document. I'm frustrated to find so little info about such an important, historic document...

http://www.historyofinformation.com/exp ... hp?id=4008
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yup. That seems like a red flag to me, too.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Here's another article I was able to find. It's dated 2013 & has several good, clear photos.

http://www.seeker.com/most-ancient-port ... covery.com

circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Yet another longer, more detailed article:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/a ... 180956619/

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It could simply be too soon for proper scholarly review. From the photos the thing looks to be in awful shape and proper conservation is a must before anyone starts poking around at it.

Then again, it could also be typical of finds in the ANE where there is, what this article refers to as a "silly season" where all sorts of things are imagined in every find?

http://cojs.org/ur_and_jerusalem_not_me ... -dec_1983/
What has happened with the Ebla tablets is, unfortunately, exactly what happened with several other major textual discoveries of this century, such as the Ugaritic texts, the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Linear B tablets in Mycenaean Greek. In each case there was a period of wild enthusiasm with everyone wanting to get into the act. Claim and counterclaim followed one bizarre reconstruction after another. One classical scholar, convinced that the ancient Greeks could write nothing but great poetry, thought he had discovered the poetic metrical system for the poetry of the Linear B tablets—no mean achievement when one realizes that these tablets are administrative texts connected with the wool industry, the flax industry, coppersmithing and the manufacture of perfumes and unguents.

The point is that there seems to be a period of fantasy, almost a silly season, through which we must pass following every great textual or epigraphical discovery. Scholars share the vanities and insecurities common to all humanity. When asked for their opinion by a reporter from the New York Times, Time magazine or BAR, few can resist. The fact that they know nothing about the subject has never hindered most scholars from contributing to the general confusion.

Let's give them some time to do it right.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

*sigh*

I don't want to wait any longer. I've waited 3 years. :|

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Patience, young Jedi.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

I saw one article with amazing pictures, I believe it was in the Daily Mail.
The papyri are on display at the Egyptian Museum.
Perhaps you should try a Google news search.

Aside from that, there was also a documentary on television, either Smithsonian or National Geographic channel.

If you can find either of those, it should give you enough information for a name search on those involved.
There is also the name of the Egyptian foreman.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Remember this one, E.P.?

http://www.livescience.com/13657-exclus ... fakes.html
Exclusive: Early Christian Lead Codices Now Called Fakes

One of many fakes.

-- George Carlin
Skiessa

Post by Skiessa »

"Over a period of several months, [the logbook] reports — in [the] form of a timetable with two columns per day — many operations related to the construction of the Great Pyramid of Khufu at Giza and the work at the limestone quarries on the opposite bank of the Nile," eh, did the ancient egyptians really use the term of "great pyramid" and the name "giza" to refer to the giza plateau?

but assuming that this papyri would be authentic, it would mean that they would have had to quarry, transport and place one stone in every 4 minutes - even less if any time was used to plan the construction process. you do realize that with all the modern technology we couldn't do this? please don't come up with the under estimation of the ancient people argument - a horse cannot ride from the quarry to the giza plateau in 4 minutes.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Skiessa wrote:"Over a period of several months, [the logbook] reports — in [the] form of a timetable with two columns per day — many operations related to the construction of the Great Pyramid of Khufu at Giza and the work at the limestone quarries on the opposite bank of the Nile," eh, did the ancient egyptians really use the term of "great pyramid" and the name "giza" to refer to the giza plateau?

but assuming that this papyri would be authentic, it would mean that they would have had to quarry, transport and place one stone in every 4 minutes - even less if any time was used to plan the construction process. you do realize that with all the modern technology we couldn't do this? please don't come up with the under estimation of the ancient people argument - a horse cannot ride from the quarry to the giza plateau in 4 minutes.
It could if it was being transported by helicopter. Think outside the box
Skiessa

Post by Skiessa »

Simon21 wrote:
Skiessa wrote:"Over a period of several months, [the logbook] reports — in [the] form of a timetable with two columns per day — many operations related to the construction of the Great Pyramid of Khufu at Giza and the work at the limestone quarries on the opposite bank of the Nile," eh, did the ancient egyptians really use the term of "great pyramid" and the name "giza" to refer to the giza plateau?

It could if it was being transported by helicopter. Think outside the box
o____o

the world would have so much fewer ancient alien hypotheses if the burden of proof would apply to the field of archaeology even to the extent of making claims physically possible.