1.4 Million YBP in Spain.

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

1.4 Million YBP in Spain.

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2016/11/ne ... rce/113191
New evidence found of human activity 1.4 million years ago at the site of Barranco León in Orce
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Re: 1.4 Million YBP in Spain.

Post by kbs2244 »

I have to take these huge time frames with a large dose of salt.
The margin of error is large and the temptations to the headline writer is even larger.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm sure scientists everywhere are quivering in terror because you have doubts!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Nice to see people coming back to life from being stunned.

This new find is no surprise. Here you go, min:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6okoNqmmW4

enjoy
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

E.P., I promise I will watch it as soon as I get some time.

(Today was not that day!)

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Today was the day.

How are you making out with that whole, Homo Sapiens in Asia, 1 million ybp thing? Getting much traction for it?

Second, and this is a technical observation. Either get a remote control to advance the slides or have someone else doing it for you. It is amazingly distracting for you to keep turning around to advance the slides yourself.

But at least there was no folklore.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Hi min =

As near as I an make out, a large number of physical anthropologists are focusing on the new data from Asia.
The hypothesis of later multi center hominid evolution was not my own development in the field.
Neither was noting the effects of impacts on hominid evolution.

Now the craters are there, the fossils are there.
I just joined the pictures of them together.

Even getting one take of part of this talk was very difficult.
I hope to clean up
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm far from convinced that there is that clear a distinction from Erectus (which was found in Asia) to HSS, but for the time being we are stuck with that as a scientific consensus. I suppose it would require an uncontaminated find of Erectus DNA to resolve the issue.

We can hope, can't we?

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Minimalist wrote:I'm far from convinced that there is that clear a distinction from Erectus (which was found in Asia) to HSS, but for the time being we are stuck with that as a scientific consensus. I suppose it would require an uncontaminated find of Erectus DNA to resolve the issue.

We can hope, can't we?
Hi min -

I need to add here that the concept of "Asia" needs to be clarified.
Sea levels were much lower, and thus there was a litoral that ran from Africa to Arabia to India to what is now the SE Asian archipelago.
The climate was much different as well.
A lot of this area is unexplored for early hominids.