Let's Not Get Carried Away, Boys

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Let's Not Get Carried Away, Boys

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/ancient ... t-pyramid/
Ancient Egypt: Secret Room discovered in Great Pyramid
An international team of archaeologists believes it is on the cusp of pinpointing the location of a secret room hidden within the Great Pyramid of Giza as it uses cutting-edge laser technology to map the 4,500-year-old ancient Egyptian wonder.

But.
However, other archaeologists collaborating on the project are being more cautious in their projections. Egypt's former Minister of Antiquities Zahi Hawass characterized what had been discovered thus far as “anomalies” or “small voids” between the stones.
The hype really gets extraordinary sometimes.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Let's Not Get Carried Away, Boys

Post by circumspice »

The hype is probably directed by the Ministry of Tourism. They need those tourist dollars, euros & yen pretty badly.
Remember the recent article about a probable new tomb being discovered near the tomb of Ay? The hype is that it's probably Ankhesenamen's tomb, notwithstanding the fact that there's a perfectly good necropolis dedicated to pharaohs' wives. Why would they break with tradition & bury her in the Valley of the Kings? It's not like she ruled in her own right like other queens who took on the role of pharaoh & ruled Egypt like Hatshepsut did. I think they're just stirring the pot & hoping the hype brings the tourists back.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

If they want the tourists back they are going to have to get the muslim brotherhood to stop shooting at them.

I don't care how many goddamn tombs they find.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Too true. The only time I got to go to Egypt was when our flight made an unscheduled, emergency landing in Cairo. The pilots were forced to park in the middle of an inactive runway far from the terminals. We weren't allowed to exit the plane & we were 'guarded' by armed men dressed in S.W.A.T. type black uniforms. They even wore black balaclavas. We were pissed & hoped they were roasting out on the tarmac as badly as we were roasting in our disabled plane. I saw the pyramids off in the distance through a tiny window. I think they should have installed a flashing neon sign with the words 'Americans Here' on the runway next to our plane... :evil:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope