Is Science a Religion?

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Josip199

Is Science a Religion?

Post by Josip199 »

Religion is based on faith. Science is based on faith. So science is a religion.” (For those interested in the technical, this argument is invalid; it doesn’t matter if its premises are true. It is just like this argument: "All students carry backpacks; Professor X carries a backpack; So Prof. X is a student." Or: "Bill Gates is rich; Vladimir Putin is rich; So Gates is Putin." [Have you ever seen them together?] All arguments of this form commit the fallacy of “undistributed middle.” Any argument of this form fails to establish its conclusion.) This argument, though fallacious, can be made valid by just noting that all knowledge of the unseen world must be based on faith, so faith is all both religion and science have access to.

Share what you all thing: Is Science a Religion?
circumspice

Re: Is Science a Religion?

Post by circumspice »

Josip199 wrote:Religion is based on faith. Science is based on faith. So science is a religion.” (For those interested in the technical, this argument is invalid; it doesn’t matter if its premises are true. It is just like this argument: "All students carry backpacks; Professor X carries a backpack; So Prof. X is a student." Or: "Bill Gates is rich; Vladimir Putin is rich; So Gates is Putin." [Have you ever seen them together?] All arguments of this form commit the fallacy of “undistributed middle.” Any argument of this form fails to establish its conclusion.) This argument, though fallacious, can be made valid by just noting that all knowledge of the unseen world must be based on faith, so faith is all both religion and science have access to.

I think that this is not a philosophy board... What I want to see are articles & discussions on the subject of Archaeology. Your first clue might be the name of this board.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Josip199

Post by Josip199 »

circumspice wrote:
Josip199 wrote:Religion is based on faith. Science is based on faith. So science is a religion.” (For those interested in the technical, this argument is invalid; it doesn’t matter if its premises are true. It is just like this argument: "All students carry backpacks; Professor X carries a backpack; So Prof. X is a student." Or: "Bill Gates is rich; Vladimir Putin is rich; So Gates is Putin." [Have you ever seen them together?] All arguments of this form commit the fallacy of “undistributed middle.” Any argument of this form fails to establish its conclusion.) This argument, though fallacious, can be made valid by just noting that all knowledge of the unseen world must be based on faith, so faith is all both religion and science have access to.

I think that this is not a philosophy board... What I want to see are articles & discussions on the subject of Archaeology. Your first clue might be the name of this board.
Ohh Sorry to put that on the wrong board will correct that and get it in the right board to have the info which is required.

Thanks for your suggestion.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

While this does not belong here, it is still an interesting discussion......just not here :lol:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Science is based on faith.
Science is based on evidence. Which is the opposite of religion.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Science is based on faith.
Science is based on evidence. Which is the opposite of religion.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Michelle has it right.
A valid subject, but this is the wrong audience.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Over at Atheistforums.org we get one of these a week it seems.

I keep this handy for those occasions.

-- George Carlin
SheriGoddart75

Post by SheriGoddart75 »

although the topic is not quite in correct place. but still I think that science is not a religion. if in God, for example, we blindly believe. then science needs facts, we have to see everything for ourselves. otherwise it is not science, it is pseudoscience