Maya Farms Discovered

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Maya Farms Discovered

Post by Minimalist »

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2019/03/r ... nds/122933
Archaeologists with the University of Cincinnati used the latest technology to find evidence suggesting ancient Maya people grew surplus crops to support an active trade with neighbors up and down the Yucatan Peninsula.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Re: Maya Farms Discovered

Post by kbs2244 »

There is concordable discussion on who, where, when, and why agriculture was first used
In my mind the why was simple.
Food.
Gardening was, and still is, a common way to feed a family.
But what do you call agriculture that produces more than you can eat? (Or even produces non-eatable stuff?)
I think it then becomes farming.
The on purpose growing of more than you can personally use for trade purposes.

It would appear these were farmers, not gardeners.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Quite so. During the H/G phase it is not hard to imagine someone coming across a stand of wild grasses and deciding that the seeds had possibilities. From there the idea that those grasses could be controlled does not seem at all far-fetched ( "doing a bit of gardening") as you say. I'll even buy your distinction between gardening and farming as the former implies a part-time aspect while the latter does not.

Israel Finkelstein, with his theory of pastoral nomads settling down at the beginning of the Iron Age to eventually become the Israelites, Moabites and Edomites, puts the cause of that change to the Sea People attacks which destroyed the coastal agricultural states that traded grain to the nomads for meat and skins. Lacking that source of grain they had to start growing their own.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

By non edible I guess you probably mean something like fiber crops such as wool from domesticated animals and/or plant fibers such as cotton or flax? (linen) Although... It seems that whatever produces fiber can also be eaten... Think mutton or cottonseed oil or flaxseed products, which are all edible & provide calories needed to survive. The only crop I can think of off hand that isn't edible would be timber, which could be used for lumber or firewood.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope