Archaeology Without the Bible

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Archaeology Without the Bible

Post by Minimalist »

http://i-newswire.com/pr49748.html

Archaeologist William Donato and a team of researchers have confirmed a complex of ancient harbor works in shallow water off Bimini, 50 miles from Miami. In May 2005, the team investigated a little-known line of underwater stones located a mile from a controversial site known as the “Bimini Road.” The new mile-long line of stones was found and videotaped from the air. Subsequent dives revealed several large stone circles on the bottom, formed from large blocks of limestone arranged into circular patterns. The circles were spaced at regular intervals. Stone anchors, identical to ancient Phoenician, Greek, and Roman anchors, were also found. “These finds took us by surprise,” stated Dr. Greg Little, who organized the expedition. “The circles may be similar to ancient Mediterranean harbor ‘mooring circles.’”
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

This reminds me of a work of fiction I once read by Clive Cussler called Trojan Odyssey. It is just a work of fiction, but it is very thought provoking as well as entertaining. If you ever just want to read something for fun, but which has some interesting ideas in it, try it. It is entirely possible that the Phoenicians made it to the new world, or the "Trojans" or Egyptians or somebody. I am certain that Columbus wasn't the first to reach this continent. There are just too many things that raise questions in this regard.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Indeed, there are. As Napoleon said: "History is a lie agreed upon."

http://muweb.millersville.edu/~columbus ... hagen.html

Although Phoenician ruins and artifacts can be found in many places along the coastline of both North and South America, it is the Chesapeake that is of interest because of its close proximity. Once in the Chesapeake Bay the Phoenicians could access the rivers that flow into it. One of the rivers was the Susquehanna.

They moved up the Susquehanna to present day Harrisburg, where they encountered a great waterfall. They disembarked and went inland. More than a thousand stones with what appears to be Phoenician letters have been found in York and Cumberland counties. Several of these stone are on display at the State Museum in Harrisburg.

Boland speculates that these people were refugees fleeing from a disastrous defeat at the hands of the Greek general, Agathocles in 310 BCE. He further hypothesizes that these refugees were trying to get to the Phoenician colony located in North Salem, New Hampshire and were blown off course. (Boland, 35)

The Phoenician colonists and their descendants were most likely absorbed into the local population of Indians. In Mankind So Far, Dr. William Howells notes that "the Indians of New England are the least Mongoloid and the most European-looking of any natives in appearance. (Boland, 45)

The search for religious freedom may have spurred the next discoverers. In 1889, the graves of nine men were found in Bat Creek, Tennessee with stones that were engraved with what was thought to be Cherokee writing. On further examination by Professor Cyrus Gordon in 1970, it was determined that these stone written in Hebrew and the translation was "for the Judeans". Carbon dating suggests that these people were buried anywhere from 32 to 769 CE. Gordon theorizes that these people were Jews fleeing Roman persecution. They could have sailed to the Caribbean and up the Mississippi to Bat Creek. (Jackson, 76)
Jean Marie

Post by Jean Marie »

I'm a Phoenician! :D and the mother of Phoenician children 8)

Jean Marie aka Om Hadi (Arabian meaning that I am the mother of Hadi who is Phoenician) :D
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Jean Marie wrote:I'm a Phoenician! :D and the mother of Phoenician children 8)

Jean Marie aka Om Hadi (Arabian meaning that I am the mother of Hadi who is Phoenician) :D

Do you sail?

This line,
It is hard to pinpoint exactly when humans came to the New World, however some excavations site in Brazil and Canada indicated human habitation there dates back forty-seven thousand years (Begley, 1).

goes back to the stirring Clovis debate. Maybe we'll get Ken back into it?
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

This line,

Quote:
It is hard to pinpoint exactly when humans came to the New World, however some excavations site in Brazil and Canada indicated human habitation there dates back forty-seven thousand years (Begley, 1).

goes back to the stirring Clovis debate. Maybe we'll get Ken back into it?

But, but, but, how could that be possible if the earth is only 6 or 7 thousand years old? Blasphemer! LOL

Post by Guest »

No I don't sail but so what! I am still married to and the mother of Lebanese who are, in case you didn't know, the direct decendants of the Phoenicians! At this very moment my husband is in Tripoli Lebanon which is the 2nd largest city in Lebanon and only about a 20 minute drive from Byblos!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Anonymous wrote:No I don't sail but so what! I am still married to and the mother of Lebanese who are, in case you didn't know, the direct decendants of the Phoenicians! At this very moment my husband is in Tripoli Lebanon which is the 2nd largest city in Lebanon and only about a 20 minute drive from Byblos!

I sincerely hope that he keeps his head down until he gets home.
Jean Marie

Post by Jean Marie »

Why? :?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There's always trouble over there.
Jean Marie

Post by Jean Marie »

Not always. Anyway, my husband is a strong man who knows how to take care of himself
Walt3

Back to Bimini and more

Post by Walt3 »

Is there anyone changing text books or attempting to verify these Bimini ideas right now?

Also I had read in a web publication that the Smithsonian had secreted away a stone coffin dating from many thousands of years ago and disposed of it as well as other archeological evidencew that there was human existance prior to the typically accepted time. Anyway to research this?
stan gilliam

bimini

Post by stan gilliam »

It seems that when this train was started, Frank may have inadvertantly knocked it
off its tracks by saying that something about it reminded him of a book by Clive Cussler.
I looked at some photos and maps of this "Bimini Road," and it certainly looks to me as if it could be man-made, whatever it is.
Does anyone disagree?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Take a look at this.

I've read Underworld and it makes some compelling points. The section about Yonaguni is most interesting.

http://www.grahamhancock.com/underworld/review4.php
stan gilliam

underworld review

Post by stan gilliam »

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I read the review, and the book sounds fascinating. A couple of years ago I read the book about the Chinese voyages before Columbus. There's a website on that one.

http://www.1421.tv/index.asp

(It seems that Menzies is going overboard in some instances, such as the Chinese influences he says are to be found in the Americas, but the basic premise seems sound to me.)

I have the feeling that there is a lot of stuff under water, and perhaps very near current coastlines.
I am a bit surprised that with all the satellite imagery coming in every day that there haven't been more sites revealed. Recently the tsunami uncovered at temple off the coast of India. Another one that used to be underwater is the "Woodhenge" in England.
Also recently there was a PBS documentary about the apparent finding of the lighthouse at alexandria, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world, based on monumental statues and architecture which had fallen into the sea.
It seems to me that humans must have "always" lived near the sea...because of the abundant food supply, and that they must have liked to travel beside it (if not on it) for the same reason....On a long trek, they would not go hungry.
It may be that the coastal areas have been so highly disturbed by floods and earthquakes over the eons that whatever evidence is there is just hard to find.

However,

http://www.erdexpansion.de/Yonaguni.jpg

Here's a computer image of what the Yonaguni structure is
supposed to look like.

The trouble is, it doesn't resemble any kind of building...
it isn't symmetrical, and doesn't appear to have any
functional components such as stairs, walls, windows,
roofs, etc. And it is apparently solid rock. It just has right angles. :(