Earliest Burial Thusfar in Africa

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Earliest Burial Thusfar in Africa

Post by Minimalist »

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56986457

Ancient child grave was Africa's earliest funeral
A glimpse of human grief, at the loss of a child 78,000 years ago, has been revealed in the discovery of the oldest burial site in Africa.

The Middle Stone Age grave - of a three-year-old child - was found in a cave in Kenya.

In a paper in the journal Nature, the researchers who studied the fragile, ancient remains described how its head appeared to have been laid on a pillow.

Scientists have named the child Mtoto, meaning "the kid" in Swahili.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Earliest Burial Thusfar in Africa

Post by circumspice »

I was reading along & encountered what I considered a puzzling disconnect... The researchers were talking about the expression of human grief, yet they gave the child a less than sentimental moniker... Mtoto, translated from Swahili, meaning The Kid... Gee... And I think that they jumped the gun on assigning a gender. Prepubescent children are notoriously hard to assign a gender without some obvious sign of gender such as a grave marker with a gender specific name marked on it, grave goods that are obviously gender related or a DNA test. They stated that the size & shape of the skeletal remains led them to believe that the child was male... Really? I don't think they could possibly ascertain the gender from the size & shape of a 2-3 year old child's bones. C'mon...
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You'd probably get a better understanding of their conclusions from reading the actual report by the excavators instead of some reporter's take on what it said.

Sadly, the citation for the paper only gives an abstract and I'm not going to pay $9.00 to read it!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 am You'd probably get a better understanding of their conclusions from reading the actual report by the excavators instead of some reporter's take on what it said.

Sadly, the citation for the paper only gives an abstract and I'm not going to pay $9.00 to read it!
Oh hell no! I wouldn't either. That's ridiculous. I wonder who profits from the sale of the papers. Certainly not the author/s. I doubt that my son ever received a cent from the sale of his papers. (Although they probably did help him get grant monies in a roundabout way)
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Of course Dorothy's dog in the Wizard of Oz was called Toto, one wondered where Walt had learned Swahili. I was told it meant young child and was not a pejorative, my brother was described as such
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

A slightly more comprehensive article here... Note how carefully they refer to the child using no gender references at all. They go into more detail of the burial, the discovery, recovery & analysis.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180977659/

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Good write up. Frankly, I would expect the Smithsonian to do a better job than some over-worked editor for the BBC who gets a blurb in from a press release.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

I could have probably had my son download the paper for me. But his plate is pretty full trying to run the courses he teaches online, due to the pandemic. A short while ago he completed building his 'ultimate' desktop pc. It's dual purpose, he conducts his courses online from home with it & he also uses it for personal use. He's rightly proud of the build which is a mix of useful practicality & racy bells & whistles. He has it tricked out in a clear sided case to showcase the lights & components. Nothing but the latest & greatest technology went into the build & it was built 100% with his own funds. He calls it "My midlife crisis". He completed it December 2020.
Attachments
-5zeuk0.jpg
-5zeuk0.jpg (134.8 KiB) Viewed 5338 times
fl8jp4.jpg
fl8jp4.jpg (126.32 KiB) Viewed 5338 times
-n34gta.jpg
-n34gta.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 5338 times

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Funny that you should post that now.

I just had to replace the liquid cooling system in my not quite 3 year old IBUYPOWER build because the pump was malfunctioning. Most times it made a racket but the racket meant it was still working. When it was quiet the CPU would promptly overheat and shut down. I got a replacement Liquid cooler but was not about to try to put it on myself. I called in an at home technician who took care of it.

I will say that I was shocked when I opened the case - which also has a glass side panel - and realized that there was only the one fan on the radiator in the whole machine. The first IBUYPOWER had a five inch fan right on top and it was constantly blowing a steady stream of cool air out. I installed a secondary fan on a vent at the bottom to increase the air flow.

Mine has all sorts of stupid lights, too. I wish I had paid more attention to the case when I set it up and got more ventilation and fewer lights!

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

From what I understand, this PC is both air cooled & liquid cooled. (I'm not sure the build was complete at the time the pics were taken) My son has been building his own desktop PCs since he was a teenager. As far laptops are concerned, he swears by Apple. IT & pc building is a long time hobby of his & he started his daughter off by helping her build a Raspberry PI. (sp?) She was 7 years old at the time. He said it was a fun father/daughter project. He frequently writes his own programs too. (C++ I think???) I can build a desktop pc as well, I'm just not as proficient as my son & I'm not up to date on the latest technology anymore. We were both started on computer building & coding by my dad who had done some programming (Fortran & Cobol, I think... in the old punchcard days) back in the 60s & 70s. He built a rather primative home computer back in the 80s just before his untimely death. I had wanted my son to go into engineering because he had a knack for math, computers & such. But he followed his own interests & he is now an evolutionary biologist.