The news page

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

NIOT keeps pissing off the Club.

Good for them.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Ancient Roman Tomb Complex found in Greece -

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/04 ... index.html
Archaeologists found gold earrings and rings, gold leaves that may have been attached to ceremonial clothing, as well as glass and clay pots, bronze artifacts decorated with masks, a bronze lock and copper coins.

The vaulted grave, a house-shaped structure, had a small stone door that still works perfectly -- turning on stone pivots.
The early dating of this find is quite a surprise.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

146 BC is the date of the Sack of Corinth and pretty much the accepted date whereby the Romans said "Enough" to 50 years of Greek back-biting and duplicity and just took over the whole country.

Curiously, in 146 the Romans also sacked and burned Carthage. Must have been the current theory of urban renovation.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

Minimalist wrote:
Digit wrote:According to tales here Min they weren't always royal and had little choice in the matter, 'to the victor, the spoils.'

Of course, Dig, but I wouldn't expect a slave taken as war booty to end up in a burial mound. That indicates a person of some status.
Could depend on how many accomplished sons and daughters she had ...
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Could have been a slave chosen to "accompany" the deceased to the afterlife. The Vikings did that, too.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4020623a1861.html
They're known as Palaeolithic Venuses and they raise a lot of puzzling questions: How come these almost identical figurines were found all the way from France to Siberia? How come this stylised carving tradition was practised and passed down over 20,000 years? What purpose did they serve?

There are as many answers to these questions as there are archaeologists and art critics. Frankly, the Venuses are a mystery. But the mystery has just deepened and widened.
These articles about the carved Venus figures always seem to leave out the Berekhat Ram figurine. From the news section.
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

Charlie,

This is a book turner. Something to fill in the gaps. If the date is anywhere close art work here very very early.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/Con ... d%3A218175
Anyone care to check out the validity of the Doc's claim: An intricately carved figurine recovered in situ...in Idaho, from stone allegedly only from northern Spain...i.e.- Solutrean... :?
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Astonishig.
The venerable archaeological establishment--referred to affectionately by eager newcomers as the "Stuffy Petes"

I still prefer The Club.

Solutreans in Idaho? Long way from the Atlantic coast.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Minimalist wrote:Astonishig.
The venerable archaeological establishment--referred to affectionately by eager newcomers as the "Stuffy Petes"

I still prefer The Club.

Solutreans in Idaho? Long way from the Atlantic coast.
:P

Sure is, huh? Of course, look how fast Clovis technology spread... :?

Perhaps the 5,000-year gap the fundies whine about isn't really a gap, but ignored in the past. :roll:

Sandia Cave comes to mind:
Greenman outrightly called Sandia points Solutrean, specifically of Solutrean Montaut, north of Dax in extreme-SW France, noting most North American point-types between the end of the last glacial first and second cold phases are present in the Solutrean of France and Spain.7

http://www.wfu.edu/~cyclone/THE%20SOLUT ... ESTION.htm
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The technology to make the point is transferable...as long as you have someone who knows how to do it.

The analysis of the stone as coming from Spain....and only SPAIN....is a little hard to overcome logically. Even if the stone was taken from someone on the east coast and transported to Idaho....one cannot escape the idea that SOMEBODY had to bring that rock across the Atlantic.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I don't have time at the moment but tonight I'll give Charlies link a real good read. Looks interesting.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Solutreans in Idaho? Your comment was the first thing that went through my mind Charley. Something doesn't ring true there I feel.
Charlie Hatchett

....one cannot escape the idea that SOMEBODY had to bring that rock across the Atlantic.
Right? I'd like to find the actual tech notes on the rock analysis.
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Charlie Hatchett

Digit wrote:Solutreans in Idaho? Your comment was the first thing that went through my mind Charley. Something doesn't ring true there I feel.
Well, Greenman spoke of Solutrean points in New Mexico: Sandia Cave. I've got Marie Wormington's book ordered. When it comes in, I'll scan the images of the Sandia points.
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Digit

Post by Digit »

Having posted on Solutrean man in the New World Charley I have no problem with that possiblity at all. That they may penetrated that far in land I personally find astonishing, to me that suggests long term colonisation rather than a Cook's tour.