The news page

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

It's Old News.

Seen the similar story about my own city-Vancouver BC-Sky is Falling/Sky is Falling whaaddya gonna do/who you gonna blame?

For sure I'll be swimming if/when the seas rise 100' feet but it's equally true I'll be long in my grave-as will most here.

"So many tragedies from which to pick 'n choose'.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hello Sam!

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=7123
The discovery was made on a building site in the Kallebäck area of the city. Residents of the new apartments being built in the area will be living on a site inhabited 10,000 years ago.
Kallebäck now lies about 5 kilometres from the open sea, but in the stone age the area was a headland jutting out into the sea.
In the light of the North Sea revelations this is not so surprising - but still pretty neat. 8)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=7&id=8784

Jerusalem, Asharq Al-Awsat- Approximately two kilometers away from Jericho’s city center lies Tel es-Sultan (Sultan’s Hill), the oval-shaped mound that the oasis of Jericho, the oldest city in the world, is famous for. The world’s earliest settlement was located at Tel es-Sultan, which stands in the form of several layers of habitation that make up today’s mound.

And yet despite its importance and its ability to attract the world’s greatest researchers, it is not included on the World Heritage List, which is precisely what the Palestinian Authority’s Department of Antiquities and Cultural Heritage is striving to accomplish presently.
Very interesting article that reminds us that civilizations have existed before recorded history. This one is about Jericho. There was an older one in Turkey (I'm too lazy to look up the spelling). So it is pretty obvious that that area of the world had prehistoric civilization.

Important to note I think, is that these arid countries are easy places to find ancient cities. Much more difficult are places like Europe, where an advanced culture has been found dating to 7,000ya.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Catalhoyuk? Something like that.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I think you've got it. :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Assuming equal tecnology in Europe and the Mid east in early times we would be looking at mud brick, rammed earth, structures with, possibly, some stone buildings.
In Europe's climate the mud brick would be long gone and the stone recycled.
See Tony! We've been doing it for years!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/science ... 083087.htm

The theory that all modern humans descended out of Africa is almost certainly correct, new research claims.

According to the 'Out of Africa' theory, all modern humans come from a single group of Homo sapiens who emigrated from Africa 2,000 generations ago and spread throughout Europe and Asia over thousands of years.

They then replaced other early human settlers, such as Neanderthals, rather than interbreeding with them.

Some scientists have said that there is evidence which dispels this theory, but a new study claims that its DNA evidence proves Out of Africa to be true.
This report has so many problems with it that I don't know where to start. Everything that is stated here is in dispute. This sounds like a hissy fit from the club. But, it's here for consideration.

From Archaeologica News.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/story.a ... 5&cat=news
THE SITE of a massive ancient pagan temple unearthed at one of Europe's most archaeologically significant sites will be buried under a controversial motorway, campaigners warned last week.

Fears were growing that the government is to plough ahead with the contentious M3 route despite the discovery that has excited heritage campaigners.

The government insists it has not decided the future of the major find near the historic Hill of Tara in Co. Meath - uncovered just 24 hours after Transport Minister Martin Cullen turned the first sod on the project.
It's hard to believe that Ireland would not preserve anything associated with Tara. Archaeologica News.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Somebody lost their sandles before Christ!

I think the phrase "Old snow drift" may have to be nominated for the "Understatment of the Year Award"

http://www.norwaypost.no/cgi-bin/norway ... r?id=79953
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

This means that not only is it Norway's oldest shoe, but also the oldest piece of Norwegian "clothing" discovered so far.
I was expecting the usual phrase that usually accompanies these kinds of discoveries: "this changes everything we thought we knew about...".

Just curious, though, they're not saying this guy was wearing sandals in the snow are they?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Right. And WHERE is the other shoe?

Perhaps this is proof of the proverbial One-Legged-Man-in-an-Asskicking-Contest?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_ ... 133C203441

Paris - Tree-dwelling apes may have been the first to begin walking on two legs, a new study by British researchers says, questioning the current theory that more recent human ancestors were the first bipeds.

The study, to be published on Friday in the US journal Science, says apes may have walked on two feet with support from their arms to traverse thin branches to collect food.

"If we're right, it means you can't rely on bipedalism to tell whether you're looking at a human or other ape ancestor," Robin Crompton of the University of Liverpool, one of the study's authors, said in a statement.
Interesting but I still think the savannah theory holds much more water.
From Arch. News.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Beagle wrote:http://aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=7&id=8784
Jerusalem, Asharq Al-Awsat- Approximately two kilometers away from Jericho’s city center lies Tel es-Sultan (Sultan’s Hill), the oval-shaped mound that the oasis of Jericho, the oldest city in the world, is famous for. The world’s earliest settlement was located at Tel es-Sultan, which stands in the form of several layers of habitation that make up today’s mound.

And yet despite its importance and its ability to attract the world’s greatest researchers, it is not included on the World Heritage List, which is precisely what the Palestinian Authority’s Department of Antiquities and Cultural Heritage is striving to accomplish presently.
Very interesting article that reminds us that civilizations have existed before recorded history. This one is about Jericho. There was an older one in Turkey (I'm too lazy to look up the spelling). So it is pretty obvious that that area of the world had prehistoric civilization.

Important to note I think, is that these arid countries are easy places to find ancient cities. Much more difficult are places like Europe, where an advanced culture has been found dating to 7,000ya.
I think you're mixing up the concepts of civilisation and culture, Beagle:
about a mile from here – in the lowlands of Europe – I have 2 dozen prehistoric grave mounds, dating back to 2700 to 2100 BC, the Neolithic, from the Beaker culture. Semi-resident hunter/gatherers that lived in tribes. That was a culture.
Jericho was a city: a supra-tribal concept. A civilisation.

[center]Image[/center]

BTW, what European "advanced culture [that] has been found dating to 7,000ya" are you referring to?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hello R/S. Definitions of civilisation do indeed vary. But I wasn't speaking of a culture, such as the Beaker people.

Way back on page 8, near the top, is a thread titled "Europes First Civilisation Discovered". That's the one I was referring to.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Interesting idea

Post by Minimalist »

http://allafrica.com/stories/200706050712.html
WHY IS ENKAI, THE Creator god of the Maasai, almost the same as Enki, who created the Sumerians, as well as Enoch, the Canaanite hero who stormed heaven, and Inca, the divine chief of the ancient Andeans?

Is it accidental that if you reverse the syllables of those names - a word-game which ancient societies played all the time - you get Ka'in of the Sumerians, Kainan of the Canaanites, Cain of Genesis and Chanes of Mesoamerica?

-- George Carlin