Aztec temple being unearthed

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Starflower

Aztec temple being unearthed

Post by Starflower »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15131348/
The altar has a frieze of the rain god Tlaloc and and an agricultural deity.

Archaeologists are still unearthing the 11-foot (3.3-meter) monolith, which they think might be part of an entrance to an underground chamber.
It will be interesting to see what they find, all things considered.
The Aztecs, a warlike and deeply religious people who built monumental works, ruled an empire stretching from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean and encompassing much of modern-day central Mexico.

Their often-bloody reign began in the 14th century and ended when they were subjugated in 1521 by the Spanish, led by Hernan Cortes.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The Aztecs, a warlike and deeply religious people who built monumental works,
Ah...just like the Christian Coalition....except for the 'building' part.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ztecs.html

Another article here from our news section.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://fullcoverage.yahoo.com/s/ap/2006 ... MlJVRPUCUl
Researchers said Thursday they have unearthed what may be one of the earliest calendar entries in Meso-America, massive stone sculpture that suggests women held important status roles in pre-Hispanic culture.

ADVERTISEMENT

The monolithic design depicts two decapitated women. Markings on top of the figures appear to depict an entry from, or part of, a 13-month lunar calendar, said archaeologist Guillermo Ahuja, who led the excavation of the monument.
And yet another article. This suggests that women held prominent roles in Aztec society. How they get that from the statues of decapitated women I'm not sure.
stan

Post by stan »

More confusing reports from the media!
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
marduk

Post by marduk »

How they get that from the statues of decapitated women I'm not sure.

because you don't bury unimportnat people in sacred ground
The site where the stone was found was also a sacred area and burial ground occupied by the graves of 14 females, whose pottery offerings depicted women.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Humorous interlude aside, there is very good evidence that women played important roles in Aztec civilization, both politically and as members of the priesthood. Posted by Starflower some weeks ago. :wink:
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

I did a lot of traveling in Mexico way back in the 60's. The National Museum of Anthropology is one of my absolute favorite places (or was). They had a lot of figurines depicting women doing things that looked to be religious. Have always been under the impression that women played a bigger role in Aztec society than was admitted.

Must be awsome to live in a place where anytime you put a shovel in the earth you could be revealing a piece of history.
War Arrow

That old Mexica-Huastec temple confusion thing...

Post by War Arrow »

Hello! I'm new to the internet, forums in general, and this forum in particular, so please excuse any apparent signifiers of idiocy on my part.
Two things.
I've been looking for other news items regarding the excavations on Mexico City to which this thread applies. It's a bit of a jungle out there. Anyway the first item I came across turns out to refer to something found in San Luis Potosi at the beginning of the year illustrated with an image purportedly from the DF digs of the last week. Bloody idiots. My first thought was "that looks suspiciously 15th century Mexica" (and I was right), my second was a big old puffball of scepticism regarding the claim that said SLP matter was produced by the Huastec culture of around (I think it said) 500 BC.
Am I getting my wires crossed or is that not about 1,000 years too early for anything relating to Huastec culture appearing in the SLP region?
Secondly, can someone direct me to Starflower's bit about the role of women in Mexica (etc.) society (told you I'm new here)? It was my understanding that whilst woman weren't necessarily second class citizens, they generally occupied gender-specific roles (the priesthood not being one of them) at least within the larger centers of Tenochtitlan and Texcoco and so on. I seem to remember Inga Clendinnen had plenty to say on this subject.
stan

Post by stan »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061013/sc_ ... ztecs_dc_1

Welcome to the forum, War Arrow. Here's the link frm Archaeologica News yesterday, with a slide show at upper left with about 20 pix of the Aztec dig in Mexico City. They aren't the greatest pictures, but you get some idea....

There is a thread from some months back about the discovery of "the importance of women..." You can scan down the titles of the threads until you find it, or you can click on starflower's name and get a list of all her posts. Or you can PM Starflower....Or maybe she will see your post and send the link to you.

Stan
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

And so the further news is that my curiosity will have to go unsatisfied due to lack of funds :(

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... YHS7Itaze4
After Hernan Cortes conquered what is now Mexico City in 1521, Spanish invaders set about burying the Aztec culture they had vanquished. Roads, skyscrapers and a shortage of funds are finishing the job.

A 13-foot (4-meter) carved stone, which archaeologists say may cover the tomb of an Aztec emperor, was unearthed by chance in October. It hints at the treasures that are interred beneath Latin America's most populous urban area -- and likely to remain that way, unseen by historians or tourists.
Star
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF