Off Topic

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

Actually Iraq was a living example of the quote about those who don't remember their history etc. Iraq was yet another example of colonial powers, through the League of Nations on this occasion, creating countries without regard to history, ethnics, religion, etc.
The list contains many of the world's past and present trouble spots.
Iraq, Chechoslovakia, Yuoslavia, Kurdistan, Cyprus, Zimbabwe, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Sudan, Israel and on and on.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Check your favorite news channel! Breaking news says that Saddam has about 3 hrs. to live. :!:
marduk

Post by marduk »

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Beagle wrote:Check your favorite news channel! Breaking news says that Saddam has about 3 hrs. to live. :!:

More important.
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - Three more Marines were killed in battle in Iraq, the U.S. military said Friday, making December the deadliest month this year for American troops in war-wracked nation with the toll reaching 106.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

According to Arab media, the world is now sans Saddam. Reportedly, there are celebrations in certain areas of Iraq.
stan

Post by stan »

It's official. They apparently did it just before dawn in Baghdad on Saturday.
BTW...here's a litlle of SH's legacy that will be of interest to readers of this forum:
Hussein's initials were inscribed on the stones used to rebuild ancient archeological sites.
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

stan wrote:It's official. They apparently did it just before dawn in Baghdad on Saturday.
BTW...here's a litlle of SH's legacy that will be of interest to readers of this forum:
Hussein's initials were inscribed on the stones used to rebuild ancient archeological sites.
And the list goes on.....Well, they can't hang him again I guess.

Bush 1 took a lot of criticism for leaving SH in power. After the House, Senate, the UN, and our allies decided to go to war - I never felt he would get off the hook this time.

We can have a serious troop reduction now thankfully.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I am saddened by his execution, not because he died, but that as a society we need the death penalty, and we do, either as a deterent or as a punishment.
He left a final letter, and it shows the degree to which he, and unfortunately other world leaders, tend to be divorced from reality.
But to my American friends, if you believe that Iraqi's will accept democracy, I fear you are to be sadly dissapointed. Get your men out as fast as you can then the Iraqi's can get down to some serious killing, of each other.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Bush 1 took a lot of criticism for leaving SH in power. After the House, Senate, the UN, and our allies decided to go to war - I never felt he would get off the hook this time.
If I remember right, the UN insisted there were no grounds to invade Iraq.
GW told them to take a flying leap and invaded anyway. Not quite sure
what the UN position is at this point.
IMO Bush should have been right there with SH, for ordering the killing
of 450,000 iraqi civilions, not to mention the 1.8 million displaced refugees.
Sorry, been shoveling to much snow!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/ ... 346764.htm
It was a momentous year, a year of events that will echo in the annals of history the way a dropped plate of calamari echoes in an Italian restaurant with a tile floor.

Decades from now, our grandchildren will come to us and say, "Tell us, Grandpa or Grandma as the case may be, what was it like to be alive in the year that Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Britney Spears and Katie whatshername all had babies, although not necessarily in those combinations." And we will smile wisely and emit a streamer of drool, because we will be very old and unable to hear them.
2006 Year in Review. (funny but true)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0, ... wn_index_8
Here are some predictions for 2007
Interesting! Big Brother is here (has been here)
Digit

Post by Digit »

My own prediction for 2007 is Blair will be dragged, kicking and screaming, from 10 Downing Street. But only if he can't think of excuse for remaining.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Digit wrote:My own prediction for 2007 is Blair will be dragged, kicking and screaming, from 10 Downing Street. But only if he can't think of excuse for remaining.
Who knows :lol:

So, do you think the Labor party is poised for a takeover this next time around?
Digit

Post by Digit »

If they do I'll start to believe in miracles. I've followed politics since my school days and I cannot recall another government as unpopular as this one.
Blair claimed his was 'New labour' because the traditional Labour polices made them unelectable. What we got was old party, new packaging.
marduk

Post by marduk »

Maggie was pretty unpopular right up until Galtiere made his move and made her a legendary war leader iirc
but I agree
this one blows chunks
:lol: