Inteligent Design

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

"and they need to step it up a bit"

Wouldn't that make it worse? I think I'll just ignore them and NOT tell anyone I know that there is such a site. Like . . . . they're going to listen to me.

Frank, I'm with you about gays. I don't know what the stink is about. Before I got married I had several close friends that were gay. But since I got married and had a family, they sure didn't ruin anything as far as I could see.
stan gilliam

tennessee

Post by stan gilliam »

This is for leona because she lives in TN, and for Terry and others not frm the USA.
I spent 4 years in the north georgia/tennessee area. That seems to be a nexus of quite a few fundamentalist organizations and their "bible colleges." Also many small cults including snake handlers.
I drove up to Dayton, Tenn. out of curiosity to see the famous Scopes trial courthouse and my niece's college. Out in the middle of nowhere I had to cross a river on a tiny ferry that could only carry 2 cars. i really felt as if were going back in time. Seeing the old courthouse and being in such an isolated place made it seem natural that conservative fundamentalism would hold sway here.
For non-yanks: We have a geographical :wink: feature here called
the Bible Belt. It is mostly southern US, but extends up into the midwest.
It tends to be rural, conservative. In the east Tennessee region I mentioned above, the radio was filled with numerous religious stations broadcasting 24 hours a day admonishing wives to obey their husbands, and so on. People have allowed their children to die of a ruptured appendix rather than seek "earthly" medical care.
The town where I worked was dominated by the first Baptist Church, with its swimming pool and basketball court. Almost all the local professional people were members there.
Lately some businesses have started putting the sign of the fish on their
advertisements and signs.
Terry asked "Where do you get this stuff?" alluding to "inteligent" design. I'm trying to answer the question.
Another thing is that science is hard...you have to use your head to figure it out...you might even have to use (omigod!) mathematics and logic.!! Clearly it is not for everyone..
THEREFORE...it is to be suspected! It is for nerds and geeks and wierdos, the minority....and as you know, in a democracy, THE MAJORITY RULES....
We also have something called "states rights." Each of the 50 states
has its own laws about legal age, marriage, capital punishment. And
EDUCATION. Each state is responsible for its own school system and curriculum. They are all different.
i think the teachers try hard, but it is an uphill battle when the prevailing culture in some parts of the country is so opposed to anything that challenges the local values system.
:evil:
All this bothers me a lot.
(BY the way, I RESPECT PEOPLE"S RELIGIOUS BELIEFS!) Shihar's website doesn't bother me.
It's when it becomes politicized and the organized religions start pushing people around that it causes trouble. I recently read all the JeanMarie
correspondence...so this may seem redundant.

Best wishes....
Stan
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I recently read all the JeanMarie
correspondence

Oh you poor lad.

:wink:
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Thank you Stan. I live in East Tennessee. The country road I live on has no less than five churches, four Baptists. I was raised in Los Angeles and am here under duress, my husband came home, we followed. Even after all these years, I have trouble understanding why the people here refuse to get out of their ruts. "What was good enough for my great-grandfather, grandfather, and father is good enough for me and my kids." My daughters were put down because they thought females should be educated and have a career, not just think about getting married and having children as soon as they could, so they could get out of school. That is what they have been brought up to believe by their families (both biological and church).

It's scary to realize that this kind of thinking may go on for several more generations. To people here the world exists only in the Tennessee Valley, they don't care what happens anywhere else because they feel that it won't affect them. I don't know which one is worse, the men who keep women subjugated or the women for letting them.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Almost everywhere in the world religion is a tool used by men to oppress women.
Rokcet Scientist

Re: tennessee

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

[quote="stan gilliam"][...](BY the way, I RESPECT PEOPLE"S RELIGIOUS BELIEFS!)[...]

Sure, UNLESS they FORCE them on me!
(Or on ANYone! As both Bush' Bible Belt mafia and Osama Bin Laden are doing).

Post by Guest »

Now, THIS is interesting! It also tends to defuse the argument about the idea being confined to the US 'Bible Belt'.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4648598.stm
stan

inteligunt desine

Post by stan »

Yes, it is interesting, but I wonder why anyone is surprised?

Possible answer: the difference in the schools systems in the UK and US.
Here we always have the struggle between the state and federal governments. The states are supposed to be in charge of education, and there is a variety of beliefs and opinions among the 50 states.

Maybe the local systems in UK don't have much to say about curriculum?
Dunno. Maybe therefore the press doesn't care what most people think about it?
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.

Post by Guest »

When i first posted the topic i did not expect such a great interest to form.What was unsettling here in Australia as i think i said earlier was that 1000 cds where sent from the U.S.A. on inteligent design to new south wales schools i believe the upset was more about how someone would dare to do that within another country than the content .
I am afraid i have been to busy to devote much time to the forum however i will pop in now and then for those truely looking for information i have put my email address in profile feel free to drop a line though be patient over the reply as time gets away from me cheers Terry.
fossiltrader

Post by fossiltrader »

Sorry the guest above is me whoops.fossiltrader aka Terry

mr_terry_smith@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

Stan,
UK councils don't have much say on national curricula, but can be incredibly devious in how they interpret them!
Denominational (ie RC) schools are more clear cut about what they will and won't teach, because the government won't argue for fear of alienating a large part of the electorate.
stan

surprise

Post by stan »

Welcome back, Terry!
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hey, Terry.

Missed you.
Tech

Post by Tech »

Realist
"Quote"
Figures for the United States show that the Christian population is rising and that 67% of the Christian population are church members.

In the UK, Church membership and attendance are declining relatively rapidly where only 15.6% of the Christian population are church members.

I can only really speak from experience in scotland where the religeous man is a dying breed , and religeon has very little effect on school curriculum and where I had never heard of creationists until I read it on the web. Scots tend to be a very practical and cynical people

Post by Guest »

Cheers Tech, but I know; I'm in Scotland myself!