Indus Valley Civilization.

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Indus Valley Civilization.

Post by Beagle »

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstor ... sid=225132

New Delhi, March 5: Indus Valley civilization was much more varied and wider than historians believed till date,” said Professor of Archaeology and Heritage Management, Boston University, Mohammed Rafique Mughal on Monday.

"Extensive exploration and excavation of sites in the upper Indus Valley and the lower Sindh have revealed a widespread cultural phenomena which existed at that time," said Mughal, delivering the Dr I H Qureshi Memorial Lecture, the Harappan civilization, at St Stephen's College.

From todays News Section.
The Indus Valley civilization could be older and more extensive than has been thought. It appears that it extended to another river in India called Saraswati. This river, as the Indus, has mostly dried up or changed course.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

human settlement in the Indus region dates back to sixth millennium BC. A remarkable complexity in architecture, social stratification, elaborate burial practice

I wonder if that includes red ochre?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

ok I don't get it
this claims
Indus Valley civilization was much more varied and wider than historians believed
basing it on some evidence of the Mehrgarh site
it then goes on and says
the evidence is not conclusive enough to link the Neolithic horizon of Mehrgarh with the nest state of human cultural development,
which means basically that there is no evidence to link the officially oldest site in India with the harapan civilisation
besides which even if you could it would be like linking stonehenge with central london as in its pretty certain that you could trace a bloodline from one to the other but not that the latter got any of its technology from the former

Mehrgarh some of you no doubt will be surprised to hear is one of my favourite indian sites and as a result I know a surprising amount about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrgarh
I love it because you can link to wikipedia and say things like
Mergarh first period was aceramic
and then when people say "wow thats advanced for 7000bce" and ask about the pottery you say
I said aceramic dumbo that means they didn't even have a pot to piss in
aceramic - no ceramics at all
:lol:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Not as far as I know Min. :lol:
But, you know, there is evidence that this civilization is even older. I don't want to make any assertions before I study it some more, but some Indian archaeologists are claiming even more ancient dates than 8,000ya.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.a ... 46&sid=NAT

New Delhi, Mar 06: Government on Tuesday said there are no archaeological studies that reveal the existence of a Ram Sethu bridge between India and Sri Lanka.

However, a NASA satellite picture has shown the existence of a stretch of land bridge in the Palk Strait between the countries, Minister of Tourism and Culture Ambika Soni said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha today.

She informed the house that as there are no archaeological studies to confirm the fact, the government was not planning to take any preservation initiative in this direction.
This quote is the entire article - from todays News Section. The Indian government says ther is no evidence for this land bridge to Sri Lanka (Ceylon). But satellite photos say there is.

In the Rig Vedas Rama is said to have crossed a land bridge with his army in the Ceylon War. If true, that could make the Vedic writings much older than currently estimated.
marduk

Post by marduk »

lol so what is this now
you are reporting non news
there is no evidence so lets write a news report saying that there is
the Vedas are no older than 1500bce and there is no archaeological evidence to say otherwise either
there are reasons why you would know this Beagle if you had heard about them before Hancock mentioned them in fingerpaints

so i guess i can now start saying things like
the war of the worlds may be older than the victorian era because the river thames discussed in it was present in england during the ice age
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

In the Rig Vedas Rama is said to have crossed a land bridge with his army in the Ceylon War. If true, that could make the Vedic writings much older than currently estimated.

The Club must hate satelite photography. One more thing they can't control.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

no actually in this case they love it because it proves that there isnt a land bridge there unless you think coral is a good material for building bridges out of
I think Hancock tried to claim it was a real bridge but obviously that was just more crap which you seem to have picked up on thinking it was Gospel
still heres the truth from wiki
Rama's Bridge, also called Adam's Bridge is a chain of limestone shoals, between the islands of Mannar, near northwestern Sri Lanka, and Rameswaram, off the southeastern coast of India
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams_Bridge
not that you'll even bother to click on the link
"i reject reality and substitute my own" (typical pseudoscientific comment)
you two should add this to your signatures
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.archaeologyonline.net/artifa ... vedas.html

A vast number of statements and materials presented in the ancient Vedic literatures can be shown to agree with modern scientific findings and they also reveal a highly developed scientific content in these literatures. The great cultural wealth of this knowledge is highly relevant in the modern world.
This is an article that I've had for some time in "favorites", along with some others on the Harrapan civilization. It argues that the Indo-Aryan invasion didn't happen at all, and more probably went in the other direction. Many Indian archaeologists are writing in those terms. While it is a little long, it should really peek ones interest. 8)
marduk

Post by marduk »

its a well known pseudoscientific site and you know it
I also know where you got it from
This is an article that I've had for some time in "favorites",
you mean a month
been reading the hall of maat again havent you
http://www.hallofmaat.com/read.php?1,43 ... msg-438355
here were some of the better replies
The whole thing smells fishy.
I would say its far more valuable from an anthropological perspective than an archaeological one

Lots of suspicious quotes from scientists and some ludicrous statements about evolution and the big bang.
so par for the course
a lot of the articles on this site have been proclaimed as true on the Hancock site and blasted as rubbish by Indian archaeologists and historians but I expect that youd say they were all club members too
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Minimalist wrote:

The Club must hate satelite photography. One more thing they can't control.
Yes, that and the internet. :lol:
I've been thinking about posting on this subject, but I have my fingers in too many pies. But then, Michelle posted two articles on it today. What's a poor fellow to do.

I've got a lot of literature on this subject, but I'll probably give it a rest for today, I've got a lot to do.
marduk

Post by marduk »

I've got a lot of literature on this subject, but I'll probably give it a rest for today, I've got a lot to do.
I've studied this subject at length
so I really can't wait for your posts
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/death_of_t ... theory.htm

Death of the Aryan Invasion Theory
This is a very long article - sorry. These long things rarely get read.
Stephen Knapp is an Out of India protaganist and the author of a number of books on the subject.

Anyone interested in the subject will want to read the whole thing.
I remember when we first started the Giza thread, we made a couple of jokes about "vimanas" and said we would get around to the Vedas one day. I can't remember if it was Min,or Stan, or Frank. At least it's up on the board now.

If we go very far with it, you just know I'm gonna bring up that Abraham/Abram/Brahma thing again. :lol: Sorry.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I recall reading a discussion of this.....may have been in one of Hancock's books but I can't place it right now.

-- George Carlin
marduk

Post by marduk »

may have been in one of Hancock's books
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha
ahahahahahahahahaahahahahaa
ahaahhahaahahahahahaa
ahahaahahahahahaa
ahahhaahahahah
you guys crack me up