Licence required to possess Bronze Age dagger

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Ray

Licence required to possess Bronze Age dagger

Post by Ray »

Below is an extract from a Victorian (Australia) auction catalogue of antique weapons to be held in May. This is abolute burearcratic madness when one must obtain - and pay for - a licence to have a bronze age dagger. The L/R in the lot description means Licence Required!

818 LURISTAN BRONZE DAGGER: 7" tapered dbl edged blade, 11" o/a; excavated cond; authenticated by The British Museum, London; circa 8th to 12th Century BC. L/R $500 - 1000

URL for the catalogue:
http://www.australianarmsauctions.com/c ... line_9.htm
Ray Piper
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Hi Ray,

This is very odd, but if you were in many places in the United States, they might just ask you for a three day waiting period and a psych test!

BTW, what sort of license would one obtain for a Bronze Age dagger???

Michelle
Member-Team Glock :wink:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
john

Post by john »

All -

Eternal vigilance + mucho taxes

Is the price of

Them "Terrrrists and

Weapons of mass destruction".

My God, you get somebody loose

In the stadium of a championship game

With a bronze age dagger ............

Now, about the same techne with

A straightened out paperclip

Through the eye socket.

The mind boggles.

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
rich

Post by rich »

Nah - just a paper cut to the cartoid artery!
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

John and Rich, you're replies echo that of a reply from Ray in a PM, re-posted here:
Michelle,
The lawmakers in their sheltered workshops are basically ignorant of the far-reaching consequenses of their actions when nonsense like this is foisted on the innocent general public.
Fair enough, we do not want louts wandering the streets terrorising everbody with the brandishing of cheap, Chinese made, Samuai swords. This has happened recently.
But more care should be given to the wording of these Regulations so that genuine historic artefacts are not included.

best wishes
Ray
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
rich

Post by rich »

When people don't respect life then it doesn't matter what laws you have - they will still find a way to do what you least want them to do. The only way around it is to arm even the grandmothers! :D
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Michelle
Member-Team Glock
:shock:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The only way around it is to arm even the grandmothers!

Out here in Gun Nut Land we have a state senator whose solution to school shootings is to allow MORE GUNS into the schools.

Yes sir...just what I'd want for my kids' safety. Crossfire.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

What a nice constitution...
In fact, we ought to study and debate it here. It is, after all, archaic, isn't it. Just like the ancient ritualistic election system.

OTOH, while they may be archaic, they're far from logical, of course!

:lol:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Just to be fair, they should also license flint blades and hand-axes.
Min wrote:Out here in Gun Nut Land we have a state senator whose solution to school shootings is to allow MORE GUNS into the schools.
Just to add to the fear, the pilot whose gun discharged in the cockpit recently, was trained and certified to carry concealed by the TSA. What kind of training is required for guns in the classroom? What happens if there is an accidental discharge?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:What a nice constitution...
In fact, we ought to study and debate it here. It is, after all, archaic, isn't it. Just like the ancient ritualistic election system.

OTOH, while they may be archaic, they're far from logical, of course!

:lol:
Sounds good RS (probably a discussion for the other forum), but it's been debated ad infinitum et ad nauseum. To begin with, our founding fathers created a constitution that was appropriate for their time. But they knew that times might change and the people would want change.

So built into our constitution is the means to change it. All it takes is the ratification of 2/3 of the states. And we have a new amendment. In the US we have a 2 million man military. We also have 80 million citizens under arms. I like that balance. :wink:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

In the US we have a 2 million man military. We also have 80 million citizens under arms. I like that balance
As Bill Maher has noted...that may have worked when we all had muskets but now they have F-16s and cruise missiles.

Some bozo with a Saturday night special is not going to be much of an obstacle.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

As Bill Maher has noted...
'Nuff said. :lol:

I really like his New Rules portion of the show though.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He's a Libertarian...except for the gun nut part.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

He says he is. I was at the 2002 National Convention as a delegate. He was voted out by acclamation for his remarks about 911. The same reason he lost his first show.

He's not a bad fellow. He is just another stand up comedian playing political talking head. He plays to his crowd in New York. He will probably vote Republican out of self interest. If Obama wins - he has nothing to rail about, or no audience to listen.

Later.