Post holes at Stonehenge

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

CShark

Post holes at Stonehenge

Post by CShark »

As some of you know, I have been studying this wonderful monument. One of the areas I'm having trouble finding information about is the early phase II timber :?: structures. Does anyone have a reference, or for that matter, a theory, as to what was built here ? Were they simple timber circles, pallisades, enclosures, corn drying racks ???? From what I gather the number and pattern of post holes makes it virtually impossible to decifer what went on. Dating them with enough precision is not possible, adding to the puzzle.

Comments ?

My apologies if this has been brought up in the past.

Bob

P.S To clarify, I am not referring to the Aubrey holes., nor the Y and Z holes. but those placed prior to all those.:
It appears from the number of postholes dating to this period that some form of timber structure was built within the enclosure during the early 3rd millennium BC. Further standing timbers were placed at the northeast entrance and a parallel alignment of posts ran inwards from the southern entrance. The postholes are smaller than the Aubrey Holes, being only around 0.4 m in diameter and are much less regularly spaced. The bank was purposely reduced in height and the ditch continued to silt up. At least twenty-five of the Aubrey Holes are known to have contained later, intrusive... From wikipedia
Last edited by CShark on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rich

Post by rich »

i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
CShark

Found this pic.

Post by CShark »

CShark

Post by CShark »

rich wrote:Found this - hope it helps.

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/earthmysteries/ ... henge.html
Thanks Rich. Have that one. They don't mention the postholes at all! One other 'famous' SH site has a horseshoe of wooden posts at this stage, something which may fit, but there was certainly more to it than that. ("I'll find and post this pic later today")
rich

Post by rich »

Also found this but not sure if it helps - they don't seem to really know much about the wooden post holes it seems so far.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/content/1/c6/02/2 ... ummary.pdf

Hope some of it helps with your research.
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
rich

Post by rich »

Actually for all they really know about Stonehenge, it could have well have been a center for entertainment - a gala - or a hub for trading. Maybe that's what those post holes were - the earliest huts at the bazaar - :D
I mean - why else would so many expend so much effort into building something that big except for entertainment! Or to attract women! :D Big motivator.

Just being flaky!
CShark

Please move this post to the proper area

Post by CShark »

Sorry, I should have started this thread in the archeology thread. Would the forum mod please move this ?

Thanks.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Re: Please move this post to the proper area

Post by MichelleH »

CShark wrote:Sorry, I should have started this thread in the archeology thread. Would the forum mod please move this ?

Thanks.

Ask and you shall receive! :D
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Cognito

Monument

Post by Cognito »

Or to attract women! Big motivator.
There you go. Stonehenge was a neolithic brothel. Now that I've figured that out, who can I help next with my powers of observation? :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
CShark

Re: Please move this post to the proper area

Post by CShark »

Ask and you shall receive! :D
Thanks Mich
CShark

Post by CShark »

Thanks Rich. Have that one. They don't mention the postholes at all! One other 'famous' SH site has a horseshoe of wooden posts at this stage, something which may fit, but there was certainly more to it than that. ("I'll find and post this pic later today")
Found it:Image
Digit

Post by Digit »

The difficulty Shark is that the area was wooded in the past and may well have been an occupation site for long before it became 'sacred.'
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Wooded, eh.
This complicates the astronomical observatory hypothesis, imo. Most sites of this type are thought to be tied to horizon observations and so a clear, nearly 360* view of the horizon is of course necessary.

Latest research I have seen, seriously questions the idea of Stonehenge as solstice observatory.
Digit

Post by Digit »

What's not know Monk is whether the area was cleared before or after SH was built, probably progressively though, and if it ws an occupation site, and if the area was farmed it may well of have been, dating the earliest levels should be fun.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

So......what was it??