Ark Royal prematurely ejaculated

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

Ark Royal prematurely ejaculated

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

The UK light aircraft carrier Ark Royal was decommissioned and put on Ebay just last week, but it seems the Cameron government may have jumped the gun a bit, because now still more oil & gas have been discovered around the Falkland Islands. I.o.w. 'strategic interests' that need to be defended and protected (Argentine still asserts dominion over the 'Malvinas').

So I expect the Ark Royal to be withdrawn from Ebay and recommissioned for the next decade (she was extensively overhauled in 2005) because replacing her with a new aircraft carrier would take 10 years and 10 times as much money, neither of which the UK can afford.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Ark Royal prematurely sacrificed

Post by Minimalist »

Isn't that design a tad obsolete?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Re: Ark Royal prematurely sacrificed

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:Isn't that design a tad obsolete?
Beggars can't be choosers.
And it's a lot better than anything Argentine can field.

OTOH: the Falkland Islands themselves are of course an excellent "aircraft carrier" (I've landed there in a 737...). So maybe a few patrolling guided missile frigates are enough to complement that. I think they still got a few of those.