Corn?

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

gunny

Corn?

Post by gunny »

Reading "The Gallic Wars" by Julius Caesar on my new Kindle. Several references about the food for his Legions was "corn"? Was corn the Latin word for wheat, barley, or what?
dannan14

Re: Corn?

Post by dannan14 »

i'm pretty sure that except in the US, corn is a generic term for grain.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Check the bio of the translator. In Britain "corn" is general term for "grain."

Roman troops usually ate wheat baked into bread plus whatever else could be scrounged from the area.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

What you call corn we call Maize.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
gunny

Post by gunny »

Translator was British--Ol' JC had, so far, five major battles, 20,000?, in one year. looks like there would be remains scattered all over France.
gunny

Post by gunny »

We used to shudder with the thought of having to use our bayonet---imagine facing thousands with axes, swords, and spears--bigger cajones than me----
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Just allow that the Commentaries were political documents and, as was common in ancient writing, the tendency to overstate the size of the opponent's army was both omnipresent and unrestrained. The bigger they are the more impressive it looks when you beat them.

Nonetheless, particularly at Alesia...which I guess you haven't gotten to yet... archaeologists have found artifacts.

Totally agree about the weaponry, though.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
gunny

Post by gunny »

Speaking of battles---anything more on my previous post on the site of Boudicia?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Wars have become much less personal with the advent of long range weapons without a doubt.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

gunny wrote:Speaking of battles---anything more on my previous post on the site of Boudicia?

Not that I've heard.

-- George Carlin