Sarah's Take on History

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Re: Sarah's Take on History

Post by Digit »

First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

She's apparently not alone, Dig.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/ ... 1097.shtml
U.S. students don't know much about American history, according to results of a national test released Tuesday.

Just 13 percent of high school seniors who took the 2010 National Assessment of Educational Progress — called the Nation's Report Card — showed solid academic performance in American history. The two other grade levels tested didn't perform much better, which just 22 percent of fourth-grade students and 18 percent of eighth-graders scoring proficient or better.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

It's the same over here Min, I'm sorry to say.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You Brits have a lot more history to learn. American kids have NO excuse!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Minimalist wrote:You Brits have a lot more history to learn. American kids have NO excuse!
Well, the kids actually do have an excuse. It's called school systems coaching kids to pass standardized tests instead of teaching them to think.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep! So they end up knowing that William the Conqueror won the Crown in 1066 then they move on to Elizabeth the first followed by WW1 with no continuity in between.
Many of the teachers are as badly educated so what can we expect?

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I can remember when teaching was considered a noble profession....instead of the secondary, political-football, career it has morphed into.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Me too!

Roy.