There Were Survivors in 79 CE!

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

There Were Survivors in 79 CE!

Post by Minimalist »

https://www.rawstory.com/records-of-pomp...to-unders/

Records of Pompeii’s survivors discovered

Quote:
On Aug. 24, in A.D. 79, Mount Vesuvius erupted, shooting over 3 cubic miles of debris up to 20 miles (32.1 kilometers) in the air. As the ash and rock fell to Earth, it buried the ancient cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum.

According to most modern accounts, the story pretty much ends there: Both cities were wiped out, their people frozen in time.
It only picks up with the rediscovery of the cities and the excavations that started in earnest in the 1740s.
But recent research has shifted the narrative. The story of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius is no longer one about annihilation; it also includes the stories of those who survived the eruption and went on to rebuild their lives.
The search for survivors and their stories has dominated the past decade of my archaeological fieldwork, as I’ve tried to figure out who might have escaped the eruption. Some of my findings are featured in an episode of the new PBS documentary, “Pompeii: The New Dig.”
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: There Were Survivors in 79 CE!

Post by circumspice »

404 Error...
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
DrDavidT

Post by DrDavidT »

Minimalist wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:18 pm https://www.rawstory.com/records-of-pom ... to-unders/

See if you can access this link.
I accessed it but would need more time to examine the material before I agree or disagree with the author's thesis
vopoyos525

Post by vopoyos525 »

Minimalist wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:18 pm https://www.rawstory.com/records-of-pom ... to-unders/
mapquest directions

See if you can access this link.
I did but there is nothing to prove the author's thesis is true or not.