Firearms Archaeology

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

read a few of the articles at the site to get a feel of the type of format they accept
Will do, Mar.

Thanks for the idea! 8)

Offhand, do you know a good reference or two that discuss the resolution of OSR and TL?
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
marduk

Post by marduk »

Offhand, do you know a good reference or two that discuss the resolution of OSR and TL
ESR you mean
don't start making mistakes this early charlie
http://www.eva.mpg.de/evolution/pdf/LUM_leaflet.pdf
this online leaflet is produced by the lab that did the dating on the spears
as such it is already a recognised world authority on luminescence dating
they can't ignore it as they are already publishing data based on this at archaeology.org
it has all the answers you need
the lab is part of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
they don't come better than that
:wink:
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

ESR you mean
don't start making mistakes this early charlie
:P ...right! Why do you think I'm reading up on this stuff?

In North America, the long-range dating methods have been used very seldomly, in the past anyway. Apparently, archeologists and anthropologists studying N.A. peeps are gonna have to get up to date on the various long-range methods...including me. In other places in the World, the LR methods have been used for some time.

Thanks for the ref. I'll read it.
Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Digit

Post by Digit »

Hi whitedog. Can you help me with a point about the Alamo? The Texicans were irregulars and would probably not have been in any uniform. I understand that the dead had their faces washed to identify the Texicans, does this mean, if correct, that the Mexicans were also not in uniform?
whitedog

uniforms

Post by whitedog »

Hi Digit. I know that Santa Anna had enlisted the assistance of some individuals to aid in locating and identifying certain Texians. Did he want to see the face of James Bowie? Had he sent a spy inside to gather intelligence who had been killed with the others? There was a report of two Mexican officers who were going from body to body, looking at faces, in search of someone in particular. Reportedly, when they found a certain body, they began to abuse it with their swords and with kicks. Were these officers the same ones who stepped forward to butcher the seven men who'd been captured alive (to prove their loyalty) when some other officers hesitated to kill them? There was a black man who survived the assult who was forced to identify Travis and some others among the dead. I would think that the faces that were washed belonged to the defenders only because whoever he was looking for was among the Texians. It's been rumored that Bowie had hidden a large quantity of silver within the mission before the final assult. Had he thought that he'd survive the assult when the reenforcements arrived and could then take his silver with him? Did Santa Anna find out about this? Quien Saba?Image
Digit

Post by Digit »

As with all history we seem to left with more questions than answers don't we?
whitedog

How many defenders were armed with longrifles?

Post by whitedog »

The arsenal of British muskets was left behind when General Cos had retreated from the mission after the Texians had initialy captured it. These muskets were no doubt part of the 800 weapons counted after the defeat of the defenders on the 6th of March. Most of the defenders were militia and were allready armed with muskets issued to them earlier. I've read that mostly, the only Pennsylvania longrifles were brought in by the 17 volunteers who came in with the Crockett party and with the 32 men from Goliad who entered the Alamo just before the final Mexican assult. This would certainly narrow down the potential owner of a longrifle from that particular battle. The Mexican soldatos had not been paid for awhile and there was reportedly an attempt to take care of them by selling any and all of the items found within the ruined missiion. It's reported that only a very small amount of money was thus collected. As in the aftermath of other battles of that time and before, the troops were encouraged to gather what spoils they could find for compensation.Image
whitedog

Post by whitedog »

Minimalist wrote:This is the second story....look at the value of the weapon in question. Roughly 10 years after the Texas War of Independence, too.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/archive/i ... 05744.html
Investigators said Ellis acquired the Walker 1009 for $640,000, but arranged to sell it to Murphy for $1 million after showing him fabricated correspondence in which a fictional buyer claimed to be willing to pay at least that much for the gun. Ellis had operated a business that appraised and sold collectible firearms in Moline, Ill., prosecutors said.

Zomber and Ellis then implemented a similar scheme to drive up the price of the Walker 1010, which Zomber had purchased for $500,000, but resold to Murphy for $1.2 million, prosecutors said.
A Walker revolver.

Minimalist, I thought that you might like to look at my WalkerImage
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yup. That's a Walker, alright. Very nice.

I have a replica 1858 .44 Remington C&B. 8 inch barrel and astonishingly accurate at up to 25 yards.

One of these days I want to pick up one of these.

A nine shot cylinder, plus a .20 gauge shotgun barrel underneath for real close-in work!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
whitedog

Lemat

Post by whitedog »

Bruce Willis used one of these Lemats in "The Twelve Monkey's" as the gun he used in the airport to shoot the bad guy. I wonder why the Prop man used a 19th century Lemat as the choice of handguns? How do I get my pictures to appear large? The picures attached to my posts have to be clicked on to make them large. Fred Gaarde
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Don't post the url, rather post the code which begins with [img].
As soon as you click it, it will say copied. Then paste it into your post.
Last edited by Forum Monk on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

How are you hosting them?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
whitedog

Post by whitedog »

PhotobucImageket
whitedog

Post by whitedog »

Now I've got it!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
whitedog

Post by whitedog »

Civilian Walker No. 1011