Early Sailors

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

H. Erectus had a brain capacity of 1200cc, while the average H. Sapien has 1400cc. Neanderthal had the largest.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep Beag, and at this point I wake up my hobby horse and point out that nobody has yet proven a link between brain size and intelligence.
If there is why is HSN supposed to be extinct?
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:Yep Beag, and at this point I wake up my hobby horse and point out that nobody has yet proven a link between brain size and intelligence.
If there is why is HSN supposed to be extinct?
A cause unrelated to either brain size or intelligence!
Maybe HSS whacked 'm? Maybe HN got a species-specific infectious disease? Maybe evolution took a wrong turn and HN females' capacity to deliver babies was seriously affected? Who knows? It could be any number of causes. And it probably was too. A combination of conditions. Not just one.

But whatever it was, it seems to have been UNrelated to either brain size or intelligence, doesn't it?

I.o.w.: there's more to evolution of hominids than just brain size and intelligence. They are clearly not, by themselves, decisive factors.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I.o.w.: there's more to evolution of hominids than just brain size and intelligence. They are clearly not, by themselves, decisive factors.
That puts you and me on the same side against the rest of the world RS. 8)
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

WOW! How did we end up here, again?

We're talking about 14,000 years in Cyprus and 12,000 in the Channel Islands so how did we get back to HE thing?

Anyway, if it took a genius to invent surfing, it probably would never have happened...

Its an intuitive thing that comes from spending a lot of time playing in the ocean, which early man probably did because that was were the food was. That's why migrations happened along coastlines.

As far as my time estimates... The Channel Islands are about 15-20 miles offshore. A dugout canoe could easily do 2-3 miles an hour. Even a paddle board can do a couple miles an hour, so we're talking about 7-10 hour trip.

Now this may be really hard to believe, but I have known guys who could probably swim that far! Afterall the English Channel is 26 miles and that's really cold water!

As far as protective clothing, modern wisdom is you would need a wetsuit, but believe me, you can get adapted to spending that much time in the water if you do it everyday.
Rokcet Scientist

Barracuda wrote:
As far as my time estimates... The Channel Islands are about 15-20 miles offshore.

A dugout canoe could easily do 2-3 miles an hour. Even a paddle board can do a couple miles an hour, so we're talking about 7-10 hour trip.

Now this may be really hard to believe, but I have known guys who could probably swim that far! Afterall the English Channel is 26 miles and that's really cold water!
Oops! the English Channel is the conduit for the warm Gulf Stream waters to the North Sea. So even though it is at 51 degrees North, while LA is at 34 North, I think you'll find that the Pacific around LA is much colder on average than the Channel!

As far as protective clothing, modern wisdom is you would need a wetsuit, but believe me, you can get adapted to spending that much time in the water if you do it everyday.
Rokcet Scientist

You're my man, Barra! 8)
john

Post by john »

First:

To all; in addition to cockroaches and Keith Richards, it is obvious that surfers will become the dominant HS species in the coming millenia. By the way 'cuda, I used to bodysurf Shark Harbor, aptly named, because sharks liked it. Typical surfer. "Yayyy, we're all goin' surfing in Shark Harbor today!"

Second:

Those who doubt my first statement never seriously considered the argument of brain size vs. intellect in light of the invention, and subsequent use of, the Internet. I would posit that surfers have a far higher index of genetic survival markers than the rest of us mortals.

Third:

It would seem to me that Those Who Went Considerably Before Us, who had the intelligence to put a sharp point on a piece of stone which they then did also develop methods of projecting at a high rate of speed undoubtedly, simultaneously, had the intelligence to put a point on something propelled across water, at a higher rate of speed than a raft.

Fourthly:

The FINAL PROOF. I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever of any surfer, historic or prehistoric, who ever used a raft for surfing. As a matter of fact, an item gained from my considerable study of this subspecies is that any adolescent surfer whose board was as wide as long was summarily exiled from the tribe, and if they somehow did not die from exposure, joined, as a slave, a strange tribe called the Internal Revenue Service.

The next installment:

I will consider an amazing prehistoric Southeast Asian tribe of dwarf surfers. Their scientific name is....... Homo florensis surfii.

Stay tuned,

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Digit

Post by Digit »

Surfing on ones own is a long way removed from packing the wife and kids, the dog?, food and water onto a cumbersome load of lumber and then spending hours and hours on your kness in salt water paddling!
There is anecdotal evidence for Robin Hood, King Arthur and lost lands,
nothing for rafting, there is more evidence for the Egyptians understanding flight.
Discussing rafting as a means of colonising distant lands is usless at this stage as currently there is as much support for the use of aircraft!
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:
Surfing on ones own is a long way removed from packing the wife and kids, the dog?, food and water onto a cumbersome load of lumber and then spending hours and hours on your kness in salt water paddling.
Absolutely.
But they did it anyway.

I doubt Wilbur and Orville Wright in their wildest dreams could conceive of 500-seat Jumbo Jets crossing the Atlantic and Pacific a thousand times each day.
It happened anyway.
Digit

Post by Digit »

On a raft? I give up!
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:On a raft? I give up!
Exactly!
That's where you differ from HE!
HE did not give up . . .

8)
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

http://cooltech.iafrica.com/science/247933.htm

A fine example of man's ability to use what resources
that life gives. Small brain size's is really not the factor
in life and how we deal with it. With the right will power,
man adapts.
CHEERS! :wink:
Digit

Post by Digit »

I've given up RS because neither lack of evidence, nor logic, nor common sense, nor lack of experience seems to have the slightest affect on your fixed viewpoint.
There is slightly more evidence for Atlantis than your long distance rafting, and till I see some evidence on Atlantis I don't believe in that, nor regrettably Santa Claus nor the tooth fairy!
I'm prepared to believe in all three. When I see some evidence!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The tooth fairy left me a quarter once.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin