Horses Domesticated in 3,500 BC.

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Horses Domesticated in 3,500 BC.

Post by Minimalist »

According to these researchers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200 ... whisperers
Paleolithic hunters in Europe and Asia began exploiting horses for meat thousands of years ago when the last continental glaciers disappeared, yet the origin of horse domestication long has eluded archaeologists - for some captivating reasons.

One of the biggest reasons is that for many centuries, horse skeletons did not significantly differ in size or physical structure from those of their wild ancestors, making early taming and use of the animal more difficult to identify.

But as part of an international team of archaeologists, my colleagues and I may be getting closer to the beginnings as we look for clues in Kazakhstan.

Our team conducted extensive research at three sites belonging to the Botai culture in the northern part of the country, at locations dated to the Copper Age around 3,500 B.C.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Re: Horses Domesticated in 3,500 BC.

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

I think the horse was domesticated (much) earlier, but I have no real arguments for it other than the dozens and dozens of rock/cave paintings of horses dating back to approx. 36,000 BP which demonstrate that HSS had at least a lot of interest in the species. Imo it seems unthinkable that there would have been 30,500 years between 'a warm interest' in horses and their actual domestication.
uniface

Post by uniface »

I similarly have wondered whether the Paleoindians in Maine may not have been caribou herders, as the Siberians and Finns were reindeer herders -- possibly killing wild adults at river crossings for food and capturing others there to augment their herds.

But that's un-thinkable.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Just where is Kazakhstan?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Ahhh...
I should have guessed.
It is one of the "stans."
Digit

Post by Digit »

Dad blast it! This can't go on! I think RS might be right! :roll:
I fail to see why the archies think that man may have modified the horse, would they have even been aware for many generations that the horse could be modified?

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Ish had posted something about a researcher who claimed that based on wear marks on the teeth of horses that some level of domestication was attained c. 30,000 years ago.

Of course, he is being given the full "club" treatment. They are ignoring him.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I have been aware of that for some years Min. Another case of 'amateurs stay out'.
The guy who first kicked off the debate was a countryman of yours, a vetenarian, so of course he knew nothing.
He examined over 40000 ancient horse teeth/jaw bones and found evidence of 'crib biting' dating from way back.
Looks as though his evidence is still being ignored or that the author is unaware of it.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The person she referred to, Eduoard Piette, was a French archaeologist but from the 19th century. The Club has interesting ways of dealing with 19th century scholars. Some, like Flinders Petrie, are considered to walk on water. Some, like Piette, they think should drown.

Thanks to Ish for supplying the name via email.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Didn't know about him Min, the one I know of was definitely a Yank! :oops:
Either way the 'crib biting' needs explaining if they wish to insist on 3500 yrs.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I suspect that if they were inclined to pull out one of Piette's specimens and do a C14 test they would have already done so.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

The American I referred to explained that 'crib biting' was not proof positive of domestication as it could be argued that the animals were tethered for a period before being slaughtered.
I think he was covering his backside there as I can't see why anyone would bother to do that.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I had the same thought, actually.

Given that our ancestors were not stupid they would have surely noted that meat left unused would spoil. They may also have noted that animals were not always available when they needed them.... the lament of hunters everywhere.

Could they have tried to capture a few and keep them alive until slaughtering? The idea is not unthinkable. One simply has to get rid of the "stupid caveman" model that we have been stuck with.

Now...what are the odds that Piette found remains from exactly those horses who were trapped in Southern France no less? That's where the idea gets dicey.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

You would also have a better idea of this as well Min, did the Native Americans selectively breed their animals?

Roy.