Vanishing Ice

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Vanishing Ice

Post by Minimalist »

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Re: Vanishing Ice

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Graphic images. But it won't make a dent in public awareness in Europe right now as we're in the middle of a cold snap with blizzards and deep frost. First in 14 years. And probably finished next week. But nevertheless it makes selling the global WARMING story here a hard sell. Right NOW!

Next month the world will look completely different again. With an entirely new hype du jour occupying our short attention spans.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I note the headline is Climate Change. Has Global Warming gone out of fashion?
The latest scare here is a re run of the Little Ice Age.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It is called "winter," gents.

It happens every year and just about this time!

:D
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Not if you read our press Min.
If today's natural disaster story isn't worse than yesterdays they don't print it.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Newspapers always exaggerate.....

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Thought of you, Dig!

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

If politicians would cease producing so much hot air there wouldn't be a problem Min.

Roy.
Digit

Post by Digit »

What grieves me Min about MMGW is that some people's support is inversely proportional to their knowledge.
On a different forum one chap was on about the Gulf Stream stopping. I pointed out that Woodshole and the IPCC have both now stated that is impossible and I explained how the GS worked and why.
He immediately challenged me on what made me believe that water expanded when it got warmer!
In view of the way he asked I simply retorted that it was the same mechanism that warmists claimed causes rises in sea levels!
I also commented that water was unique in being the only compound in nature that existed in all three material states.
He then wanted to know what peculiar world I lived in if I believed that.
I asked him for a list!
I know that you support the general outlines Min but what started the debate in that forum was a statement by a 'Senior British Climatologist' that 'Children Will Never See Snow Again!'
A week later the country ground to halt!

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Did I send you the Hitler video about that?

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:Did I send you the Hitler video about that?
He seemed quite upset about it. Again.
Are we actually sure he didn't die of high blood pressure?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hitler?

Or Dig?

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:Hitler?

Or Dig?
Yeah
Digit

Post by Digit »

Well that was informative!
Min, I am aware of your support for CO2 Temp rise etc and I respect that as you have a clinical mind, but this is what annoys me....

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forum ... -post.html
.. I get pissed off with people folowing blindly any quote from a PhD.
The title is from an advisor to our government.
If you have time to slog your way through all this I'd like to hear your views.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I did slog through it and it covered a lot of ground.

From the initial point...whoever said that children will never see snow ( in Britain...I imagine?) is an idiot. However, I grew up about 8 miles from a fairly substantial lake and when I was a kid ( late 50's - early 60's) it froze so solid that every year I went and played hockey on it. My son (now 32) has never skated on that lake even though he is a much better hockey player than I ever was. The lake simply does not freeze solidly enough for the authorities to authorize skating. The amount of snow fall seems diminished and the temperatures are not as cold and all of this is within one lifetime.

So, yes. I think we are in a warming phase although as someone pointed out we have been in a warming phase since the end of the last ice age.

As for the second part I think it is naive to assume that six billion humans pumping various greenhouse gases into the atmosphere can do so with no effect whatsoever. Even the poorest five billion sit around open fires burning wood, coal, dung, lard, whatever. The result is the same. Smoke. Five billion of anything is a lot. If the remaining billion walk to work or ride a bicycle I doubt it will do much to cut emissions.

Finally, the ultimate question is can we actually do anything to reverse the process or is it simple hubris to think that we can impact a planet-wide event? I do think we are making it worse ( or at least accelerating the rate of warming) but I doubt that humanity can reform itself quickly enough to make any significant difference in the final result.

How's that?

-- George Carlin